Freight car data

N

nachoman

When did the standard freight car data start appearing/become required to be printed on the sides of freight cars? I'm talking about build dates, rebuild dates, capacities, weights, etc. I am modeling WWI era (1917-1919) and am wondering what I need to put on my freight cars. I've got some MDC truss rod boxcars that have this info printed on the side, and I assume that manufacturers do some research as to what is appropriate.

My narrow gauge line is basically an industrial railroad and does not interchange any cars. What kind of lettering would a railroad like this have been required to put on the side of its cars in 1917-19?

Kevin

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
I'm just guessing here, Kevin, but if your road doesn't interchange any of its cars with a common carrier road, there's no need for any lettering other than what you decide is necessary - for some such roads, a car number is sufficient.

Wayne

N

nachoman

Thanks for the info. I think that's the way I was leaning. Just a railroad name and a number. I am trying to create the look of a busy industrial railroad that used mostly second-hand equipment from wherever they could get it, and kept things rolling through whatever means necessary using whatever they had on-hand at their shops. I just can't imagine a railroad going through extra effort to put weights and capacities on cars when they would be the only ones using them.

Kevin