Free software that turns pictures into models!

Wojtee

Jun 8, 2008
Prague, CZ
Perhaps there might be a free sofware, which would design and make such a paper crafting software on a mouseclick :D & :D

Just kidding, of course. With a help of software you can perhaps make orthogonal views from random photo, but there is no software which could make model templates from photos. Sorry for ruining your day.

irjvik

Sep 2, 2010
Avignon, Provence, France
Technically ...

No, there isn't any such software.
Why ? On a picture, you have a partial view of an object. Often 1 or 2 sides.
In order to create a 3D model you need to view ALL sides on the object.
Period.

You can try the following alternate method :
- Put a black robe
- Light 5 candles
- Trace a 1 meter pentagram on the floor
- And so on ...
But I'm not sure you will really get a static 3D model doing so :eek:

corduroy

Oct 7, 2010
christchurch
I guess it depends on how complex the object is. There was a tut for sketchup that showed how one could take a photo of an object and make it into a 3d model (within Sketchup.)

They used a pic of a bird house in their example. The pic only showed the front and side and the roof. I guess one could use that to do an unfold to print out.

burneggroll

Mar 31, 2011
My brother does something similar for the government when deconstructing bridges. They take hundreds of photos from surveyed positions & exact angles to make computer rendered 3D modeling. Even if we could get the software, it would not run on a home-sized machine. It is coming... someday. RE: Replicators. Yah, baby.

At a Star Trek convention, when asked: "How does the Enterprise Transporter do teleportation?"
James Doohan (Chief Engineer "Scotty") replied: "Very nicely, thank you."

zwave343

the human lazor
May 18, 2011
in a bees nest
pepakura and sketch up

actually, google sketch up 7 is really just like a game. you just need about 3 hours practise and... bam! your making decent models! hell i maade a scorpion tank on that program with just my basic knoledge from the game and one reference pic. as for pepakura, well just figure out how to upload 3d data into it and load a sketch up model! but ive never tried this as i dont have the programs on the same computer. hoped this helped!:cool:

zwave343

the human lazor
May 18, 2011
in a bees nest
okay couple of things...
rmarduk, what the hell do you mean?
just got designer and you cant upload sketch up data, but ill make a list of what i can upload.
and #3
i just like having a 3rd reason.