Free Model #4 - Williams FW26 F1 2004

Discussion in 'Commercial & Civilian Vehicles' started by zealousy, Oct 12, 2008.

1. zealousy

zealousy Member

OK this is my second entry to the competition. (Sorry about that Todd) I decided to go with it cos December 31st is a coupla months away and I found that I have a tad too much free time on my hands :)

Williams FW26-The car
    This was WilliamsF1 design for the 2004 formula one season. What's unique about the car is the radical front section, nicknamed the Walrus nose. However, the design proved doomed and they changed the nose cone before the season was over to finally score a victory in Brazil

Williams FW26-The paper model
    The free download's at http://metmania.com/dlf1/fw26/papermodel/fw26dl.html
    The model is quite good in detail and would look nice once done! I printed this on B&W last week but then decided to go to a colour lab and get it printed on photo paper. It did cost me a small fortune but the prints came out real sweet. I've already started building but din get the photos off the phone to upload....

So for the time being, here's the real thing....

Attached Files:

2. zealousy

zealousy Member

Update....

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      95.2 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      97.2 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      87.3 KB
      Views:
  3. zealousy

zealousy Member

Cockpit is done :) I was too lazy to do the steering wheel so I left it for later :p It's a mess pasting the photo paper together! I peeled off the plastic-like layer on the tabs so far but do anyone have a better idea? Appreciate a lot cos peeling won't help with all the little little details cos they don't have too many tabs.

Attached Files:

• 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      113.3 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      139.2 KB
      Views:
  4. zealousy

zealousy Member

Had a little time on this! most of the little aero parts are now in place. It's bit tricky to have little tubes made off the photo paper without making a mess of it! So I had to improvise and my old TV's antenna met it's fate sign1. I hope it's within the scope of the rules, but please let me know if it isn't....:confused: Enough talk..time to see for yourselves :)

Attached Files:

• 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      101.9 KB
      Views:
    • 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      File size:
      112.3 KB
      Views:
    • 9.jpg
      9.jpg
      File size:
      109.2 KB
      Views:
  5. zealousy

zealousy Member

I love weekends :D

Look what I got off of my weekend....Well, as mentioned before I used glossy photo paper for this build. But I thought the tires would look odd if they were all glossy! So I used the rims and everything else from the original print and used matte paper for the rubber bits. The decals were pasted on after I painted them. And while I'm at it, I thought I might as well give them some treads :)
    Here's the result

Attached Files:

• 10.jpg
      10.jpg
      File size:
      101.9 KB
      Views:
    • 15.jpg
      15.jpg
      File size:
      119.8 KB
      Views:
    • 12.jpg
      12.jpg
      File size:
      103.5 KB
      Views:
    • 13.jpg
      13.jpg
      File size:
      162.4 KB
      Views:
    • 14.jpg
      14.jpg
      File size:
      107.8 KB
      Views:
  6. zealousy

zealousy Member

The model is complete. I glued in the last rearview mirror at 10 am local time! :) Didn't get a chance to get a lot of pictures cos I was already late for work.....so await the final product! :D
  7. sweet. Isn't photo paper a kick to work with? I found the cheap stuff from Staples works best. It actually accepts white glue. The end result is spectacular. Modelers who haven't tried it really can't appreciate the difference. Colors are vivid and the details pop right out. You were right to do it in photo paper. When you put that much work into a model you want the reults to be specatacular and they are. Congrats on a fine effort and end result.
  8. zealousy

zealousy Member

Thanks mate! I just got mine printed off a colour lab. We don't get too many options down here so that's the best I got. Personally, I have mixed feelings about the photo paper. As you've said, the output is spectacular. It gives that plastic finish that people don't guess it's actually paper :D but on the other hand, it's a little messy to work with! pasting is one and keeping it clean is another one. Dust sticks to it like glue :S...
    Well anyways here's the result anyways. I just noticed a few touch ups I need to do but a felt pen is all I need :)

Attached Files:

9. zealousy

zealousy Member

And more...

Attached Files:

10. Cláudio Dias

Cláudio Dias Member

Awesome job Viraj:thumb:

The photo paper did the difference.
  11. JT Fox

JT Fox Member

Excellent work.

I do enjoy photo paper but find the small parts hard work due to the paper weight. I also find my felt tip did not work on the glossy finish.

Cheers JTF
  12. Just a suggestion regarding the surface being sticky. It depends of the paper. The higher the quality the worse that problem can be. I find using the cheap stuff works best. The results are not quite as vivid but it is easier to work with. After printing I spray it with a clear coat of acrylic. Then you can wipe it off without damaging the ink or surface while working with it. You have to experiment with different glues because it seems different papers react differently to the various glues we use.
  13. zealousy

zealousy Member

Thanks Everyone! :)Claudio, I checked out your McLaren to build but I couldn't grab it before it was pulled out! Awesome job on your part as always :DJTF, Yup that is a problem. What I did was to peel off a layer before folding smaller parts. That way I can get the glue to hold a little better too!Timhinds1, We don't really have too many options down here, All I did was to size the jpegs to 10x12 and tell the guy at the colour lab to assume that they were just photos! LOL (Papercraft isn't popular here, they give you odd looks when we want them to print funny patterns across a dozen pages LOL) I used a damp cotton cloth to wipe the model clean after I'm done!
  14. JT Fox

JT Fox Member

Cool tip. Thanks

Cheers JTF