Free Model #3 - White Knight by JM

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Lex, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Now it's my entry into the free model competition......... The White Knight by Jan Muller, --most people probably know this famous model already ^^

JM precision cardmodels - Startseite
    *Site down... The model is available from Wayback
    http://web.archive.org/web/20050206060036/www.cardmodels.de/Download/White_Knight_Contest_pwd.pdf
    Password is kartonbau.de

And yea, making a start, last night I managed to finish the central fuselage. The camera's battery gave way during the build, so I was only able to take some final shots. The model was designed by Rhino so great fit, but I did manage to screw up a few formers which fortunately was not visible once they're stuck inside the fuselage... :D More pics follow as I move along~~

P: I know from the start I had no chance of winning this one at all, but everything is for fun isn't it?sign1

Attached Files:

2. Soaring

Soaring Guest

Whoa.....That's epic!
  3. Toddlea

Toddlea Member

Everyone has a chance of winning. Good Luck to you.
  4. KCStephens

KCStephens Member

Lex,
    Very nice so far. Look forward to seeing more :thumb:
  5. lriera

lriera Member

I don't know about it, but I am going to love this model and your build. Thanks for sharing.
  6. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

Nice start Lex. Looking forward to seeing how it comes out.
  7. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Sorry no progress recently... was having teenager's blue for the entire last week, hopefully I'm back on track by Monday ^^
  8. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Back with some progress at last... Today is the wings, the first challenge so far. The previous time I've built this aircraft, the wing ribs showed up badly... (actually, as with every other aircraft I built up till now >_<) So I was determined for a change! This time all the wing support was covered with a double-layer stripe of paper, to the effect of:

1, The wing doesn't bend and hug around the rib after getting soaked by glue, since now with the stripes the load can be distributed more evenly.
    2, The bending and torsional strength of the wings are increased, as dictated by beam theory.

--And it worked!! Perfectly straight wings without a visible bulge! Once again science saves the day!! Moving on to the outboard wings tomorrow...

(--The Comet exclusive scale cube also makes a first appearance ^^)

Attached Files:

9. Gainer

Gainer Member

I built one once...it's a pretty nice model, especially considering it is free, now you just needa spaceship one to go along with it
    :)
    Not to be rude, but actually, it is Ralph Curell's model.
  10. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Gainer: The SS1 is from Ralph Currell, and it was Jan Muller who designed this WK to go with that ^^
  11. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Some progress

Finished the entire wing section yesterday, absolutely great fit!:thumb: Only problem is I used wrong thickness for the formers resulting in a difference in length between the spar and the wing. --But that didn't affect the shape since the wing is pretty much the same cross-section all the way across.

Next is the side fuselages, this is the first time I used a "batch" process to cut out the parts, whereas before I always tried to cut one part, glue it together, and the cut another part, which proved to be slow... That's one lesson learned sign1

Attached Files:

12. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

The side fuselage fitted together without a hitch, a test-fit of the joint with the wing was also satisfactory ^^ Moving on to the other fuselage now...

Attached Files:

13. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

The wings came out well Lex. It's turning into a nice, and large model
  14. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Thanks Mark! I tried to make everything in pairs so they are as symmetric as possible, and it came out well. Today I finished the side fuselages and attached them onto the wings, the two sides were attached at the same time so that they are level with respect to the other. I also made the vertical tailfin, which proved to be trickier than expected... More progress follow

Attached Files:

15. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

...and just a photo on the wingroot

Attached Files:

16. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Really great work! :)
  17. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Today's topic... Engine pods. The parts which normally causes pain and suffering on other models now seems to be very easy to build, thanks to the way Jan Muller unfolded them sign1 The result was very nice. (...to the extent that I wanted to take a bite at the little pods...:oops:)

Attached Files:

18. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

...Mounted onto the fuselage, now the jet is almost complete, only the landing gears left!!:mrgreen: One slight problem though... the thing is TAIL-HEAVY!!:eek: I better think up something before the plane topples over on the tarmac >_<

Attached Files:

19. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

You need a sensor array in the nose :)

Thats a great build you have going there. nice straight lines! It would be easy to spot a twist with those pontoon thingies :)
  20. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Thanks for the tips guys! I was intending to stuff tin solder wire into the front landing gear assembly, but there wasn't enough volume for the weight. So... basically, I was left with the only option of building an extremely nose-heavy SS1 and strap it below as n810 kindly suggested... That'll have to wait till my printer gets back to life, for the time being, I'm planning on hanging the model from the ceiling ^O^