Free Model #3 - Voyager spacecraft

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by jparenti, Apr 13, 2008.

1. jparenti

jparenti Member

These are the first steps toward my entry in the free model competition. I'm no good at build reports, and my good camera is at home for now, so later pictures will be much improved. Be gentle! :mrgreen:
    And that gold record cover will be raised in the future, when I figure out a good way of representing it.

Attached Files:

2. jparenti

jparenti Member

Addition of PWS mounts and Canopus trackers, and addition of HGA support:

Attached Files:

3. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

jparenti, looks great so far. Keep up the great work. I think I might build this next, so thanks for the build report.
  4. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

as to that gold record cover, print out another copy of that piece and cut it out, get a gold matalic sharpie from walmart, and edge prep it with that, then glue it as an overlay to the one printed on the part.
  5. jparenti

jparenti Member

i was thinking that was what I could do. I think I'll go that route. :)
  6. jparenti

jparenti Member

More progress. HGA installation, addition of some attitude thrusters, sun sensor, and calibration target/shunt radiator, and LGA installation.
    Close attention needs to be paid to the instructions on this one. There are a few corrections Ton has made, so sometimes you need to ignore the picture and read the text instead, and a picture of the actual spacecraft for reference is also very helpful for orientation. Make sure the calibration target plate goes opposite the PWS antenna mounts, directly under where the science boom will mount.

Attached Files:

7. jparenti

jparenti Member

Decisions, decisions...

So it's science boom time! Ton provides two versions, one with the struts cut out, and one a solid sheet folded into a square tube. Which one shall I choose...? :mrgreen:

Attached Files:

8. jparenti

jparenti Member

And the science boom is done, save for the scan platform, which is the next component to be built. A word of caution: Make sure you align the boom exactly where you need it but allow for gravity. Support the entire spacecraft upside down, use super glue to attach the boom, and then do the support strut. When you turn the spacecraft right side up again, it will try to sag. Ton's instructions say that the boom should angle up 3 degrees, but you may want to give it a little extra to compensate for future gravitational effects. sign1
    I'm enjoying this build so far, but my hands are black from Sharpie. Edge coloring is a must to make this model look good, and the pieces are tiny. You are going to end up with stained hands no matter what.
    (A hint: Some parts, such as the edges of the spacecraft bus, really don't need edge coloring in some places, since the spacecraft itself actually has white stitching in the thermal blankets. Check a picture of the spacecraft to see what I mean.)

Attached Files:

9. KCStephens

KCStephens Member

You chose wisely :thumb:

Great job!
  10. jparenti

jparenti Member

Not sure what happened to the pictures... I will reload them again later.
  11. outersketcher

outersketcher Illustrator, Tinker

I'm impressed with the cut-out struts of the science boom. That's a _lot_ of precision cutting. I hadn't realized how cool these satellite models could look!

David
  12. jparenti

jparenti Member

You are right... I went through three Xacto blades on that piece alone. :)
    The trick is super glue. Lots of it.
  13. Dyna-Soar

Dyna-Soar Member

14. ohgodwhy

ohgodwhy Member

This is a free model ? Seems kinda detailed for that.
  15. jparenti

jparenti Member

While I skipped some intermediate steps, here is the finished product. Detailed pictures coming soon, but here's the preview. All in all, an enjoyable build, if you don't mind spending a while in subassembly hell. :)
    The brass rods I used for the PWS antennas are a little too heavy. I'm going to go with something else later. I also used the full scale length magnetometer boom. Of course. Is there any other way but complete accuracy? :mrgreen:

Attached Files:

16. David H

David H Member

Very cool! That's an awesomely straight magnetometer boom!

D
  17. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

18. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Nice build. Good luck with the compition.
  19. jparenti

jparenti Member

Thank you guys for the kind words. I don't really mind the competition itself. I just liked doing the build report and seeing all of the other entries. Good luck to anyone else who has entered the race! :mrgreen:
    Some slightly better pictures:

Attached Files:

20. jparenti

jparenti Member

More pics:

Attached Files: