[Free Model #3]- Vagyr Flagship

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Soaring, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Soaring

Soaring Guest

First off, thank you Toddlea for opening this contest up, and I hope everyone, including the contestants , have an excellent time in building for this.

I printed the first 4 pages, and I guess I'm ready to start!
    I want to note, that this model, even though I havent tried it yet, it seems superb and excellent! The textures come out nicely, and sure enough, should make an excellent model on that shelf.

Download Link : YessMasster's Homeworld Paper Models

Attached Files:

2. SEBRET

SEBRET Member

cant wait to watch. I have every HW model on the internet stored on my computer, just haven't got around to making them all, that includes this one.
  3. Soaring

Soaring Guest

I've cut up 4 pages so far, and plan to do another 1 or 2 by the end of tonight. Here's the progress so far. I don't plan to glue any parts until I have the entire model cut out. I'm taking this slowly, judging by the fact that last night, I got frustrated due to this model, I tore half of the full apart and threw it in water :) So I'll take it nice and easy....

Attached Files:

4. luciencarroll

luciencarroll Grand Poobah

wow a true death for paper
    i too have all i could find i just dont have the room to put large ships yet.
    so i too am waiting to see this one.
  5. astrospud

astrospud Member

Will be watching this one, as well.

Noob Question: What card thickness are you using? I bought a whole bunch of 230gsm photopaper from ebay a week ago and am currently building the Keeper Drone. Seem a good choice for the major body sections, but might have to move to a thinner cardstock for the "eye" and smaller pieces. BTW, this was a real bargain at AU$65 for 400 sheets (inc shipping). Prints brightly and is double sided.
    I also plan to build the Flagship, but noticed a whole bunch of small deck pieces. 120gsm for those perhaps?

Cheers,
    Marc
  6. Soaring

Soaring Guest

-Lucien carrol: Thanks for taking an interest in this build thread!

-Astrospud: Well....I use 148 gm cardstock. It's pretty easy to work with, but glueing it with normal White PVA Glue definitely does not work.

As for your dilema..230 gsm seems like a good choice, like you said, especially for the major body sections, and possibly the armor outlining it. That way, you don't have to reinforce anything :)

When you say you found little deck pieces, do you mean on the flagship, or the drone? Anyways, for the drone's eye and smaller pieces, I'd suggest anything between 148 to 90.
  7. Soaring

Soaring Guest

Back on track, I finished cutting out the entire lot. This model was simple when cutting, however, do take caution on the bridge, it was maddening :cry:

I'll start scroing everything later today and figure out where each piece fits.

Attached Files:

8. astrospud

astrospud Member

These were references to the bridge pieces on the Flagship. As I am new to card modelling, I assumed that thicker is better, in terms of the finished model's integrity.
    I have been trying to come to terms with the Keeper Drones' "head" (the bit above the eye), i am starting to think the 230gsm is just too thick for this part. The Bridge pieces on the Flagship will test me, as I'm all thumbs on small parts. :p

EDIT: Soaring, just a quick question; The foreground on the last photo has some bottles. Are they the glue you use for your models? I use this glue. It's great for quick holding joins, but goes off real quick in the jar. Is there a quick setting glue that's acid free and can be delivered with accuracy? (might be asking too much here! :mrgreen:)
  9. Soaring

Soaring Guest

Actually, thicker is better in terms of less warping and what not. B ut yeah, keep thickness to a minumum when building the bridge :) Sadly however, I'm not going to reprint the bridge on 90 gsm, I'll just take the 148 :p

In fact they are the glue I use LOCTITE Super glue gel control >---See link: http://www.loctiteproducts.com/common/graphics/products/loctite/productshots/Item_515.jpg
    It works like a charm on anything! Give it 5-10 seconds and move onto another piece. The best part is... it's an easy squeeze bottle in the beginning, however, as glue forms around the nozzle, you'll need a sharp object to scrape it off. And, the glue comes out in a gel form, that way, it doesn't look like your model got saturated in one area, it's crystal clear.
  10. Soaring

Soaring Guest

Ah, sidetracked and only.....14 days left :/ Time to work like mad :D

Alright, I'll start on teh bulkhead of the model, it's "Head". I'll report back in about an hour.

Attached Files:

11. Soaring

Soaring Guest

Wow, it too me about 40 minutes to build one piece, then I took off for a break for a few hours....I'll finsih this up tonight at post pictures in about 3 hours, or probably tomorrow morning.

Attached Files:

12. Soaring

Soaring Guest

Whoo! This is surely an excellent and fun model so far! I've nearly finished the head, and I may or may not take a break after. If I do take a break, I'll start on the midpoiint tomorrow, ir not I'll start today :)

Attached Files:

13. astrospud

astrospud Member

Looking good!
  14. Soaring

Soaring Guest

Thanks Astrospud, I only have to do 5 more glues and fold then I'll post the finished head :)
  15. Soaring

Soaring Guest

Alrighty, finished the head, 2/14 pages completed, or, 1/4 down.
    So whadya guys think so far? Just a note, the sensor bit, that little thing sticking out is preety dificult if you're like me and haven't experienced to small of a part before :)

Another note...I suggest when glueing sections, you don't glue them after you assemble them. Otherwise, you'll have thise akward gap in it. I understand if you guys don't know what I'm talking about :)

I think I'll keep going till dinner, see ya then! -I'm going to touch up on some lines.

Attached Files:

16. astrospud

astrospud Member

17. Soaring

Soaring Guest

Thank you Astrospud!

K, I said I'd work on this abit after finishing the head. So far, I've gotten 4/14 finshed, I'm closing in on halfway point. This is an excellent model, so far, I've run into only two minor surgeries, due to poor alignment, but this model is great nonetheless! Any avid homeworld player surely needs to build this baby and hang it up somewhere nice :)

Attached Files:

18. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Sweet job so far, Soaring! I can't wait to see the final product. :thumb:
  19. Soaring

Soaring Guest

Thanks Millennuim :)
  20. astrospud

astrospud Member

Will have to give this one a go after I finish the keeper drone. Speaking of which, I will have to redo the main body, due to wrong order of things being put together (the dangers of not having any destructions! :)) Seems you have not encountered this issue in you build. Keep it up, I will be watching avidly!