[Free Model #3] - Imperial TIE Fighter

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Millenniumfalsehood, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Well I figured it was about time I started something for this contest, seeing as how I only build free models. :wink:

First off though, I'm using a Finemolds 1:72 TIE Fighter model as a reference for thicknesses of parts I'm laminating.

For the record, this is the TIE Fighter model available here.

I started out by gluing the large wing pieces to some very thick cardboard donated to me by a friend for building paper models. It's about 1/8 inch thick and when I glued the wings to it the thickness prevented them from warping too much. I just bent it back in place and it stayed.

[​IMG]

Next I started the "hubcap" on the outside. After I cut it out I strengthened it by gluing a piece of the 1/8 inch cardboard to the inside. I used a pencil to color the edges.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The last thing I've done is glue the hubcaps to the wing pieces and put on the "bolt covers." I noticed something weird when I compared this to the FM TIE Fighter. The graphics are accurate to the TIE, but they are rotated ninety degrees.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll be posting more pics through the course of the day. I hope to finish this by tomorrow, Monday at the latest.
  2. Soaring

Soaring Guest

Ohh!! Pretty sweet looking! Can't wait to see those solar panels!
  3. Gearz

Gearz Member

Kewl..the TIE Fighter is one of my Fav's [​IMG]
  4. Millenniumfalsehood

Okay, Saturday and Sunday were busier than I anticipated. But Monday I was able to get some real work done. However, I was so tired by the time I finished that evening that I just decided to call it a night and post the pics today, so here's my current build report.

First of all, I decided to do the spokes around the hubcap I basically laminated the part four times, when it was just the right thickness.

[​IMG]

Then I repeated it five times:

[​IMG]

After those were done I did the rims around the perimeter of the wing. They are supposed to be raised off the surface, but not as high as the spokes, so I only laminated them twice.

[​IMG]

After I did that I discovered a slight gap between the pieces, so I used an exacto to cut gaps at all the corners to make the actual gaps not look so obvious. Then I flipped it over and began work on the other side:

[​IMG]

This time I thought ahead and cut the frame into pieces initially and glued them one by one around the perimeter. Then I glued in the spokes.

[​IMG]

When that was done I cut strips of blue and glued them around the edge to hide the cardboard.

[​IMG]

After I did that I noticed that the hub just didn't look right. I decided that it was because the hub isn't nearly wide enough, so I printed a copy of the inside hubcap and used it's detail to widen the part. I also used a spare copy of the solar panels to cover up the glue spills and mistakes I made to the original surface.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Repeat five times:

[​IMG]

It looks a lot better now.

[​IMG]

I then spruced up the hubcaps with laminated details.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also noticed three ribs on the outer edge of the wings on my FM TIE Fighter model.

[​IMG]

So I naturally had to put this detail on my TIE.

[​IMG]

I feel good. Now I just need to do the *other* one. . .
  5. Soaring

Soaring Guest

That looks awesome so far! Great job on the hubs, they look spiffy!
  6. wedge

wedge Member

Very beautiful build :) I´m your fan :mrgreen::thumb:
  7. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Member

Great work, you make it look easy :)
  8. Millenniumfalsehood

Okay its been a week since I posted last, but what a week! I had to go to Tulsa, Oklahoma because my dad had a total knee replacement surgery, and while I was there I decided to finish my TIE. Unfortunately, the only computer I had internet access to refused to let me sign on here, so I had to get back home before I could upload the pics and update my build diary. Thankfully, I had enough free time between taking care of my grand-niece (she's very fun to be around) and my dad (not so much, but who said love was easy?) that I was able to finish my TIE/Ln Fighter! :D

Here's my rather long build report. I hope it will be useful to anyone building this kit and I apologize for the length:

When I arrived, I started out by making the connection to the cockpit ball. The first part I made was the solar array connection:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When that was glued together I made an additional interior part for the flaps.

[​IMG]

After that was dry I glued the cap on.

[​IMG]

Then I proceeded to make the supports for either side. I decided against doing it stock, because the stock kit has you cut a slit in the part, which allows the supports to be a single piece, but this decreases the structural integrity on an already strained connection point. I elected to make them separate pieces and increase their accuracy. I first trimmed the kit part so that the sides were parallel to the pylon, then I glued that part to a sheet of blue cardstock I printed. After that was dry I cut it out of the cardstock, but left a 2mm edge. Then I did the same thing to the other piece, glued on to blank cardstock and cut it out, then I glued the remaining piece to the backside and separated the colored sections. Then I glued the pylon root to the wing, waited for it to dry, and finally I glued the supports to the root.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Repeat:

[​IMG]

I then started on the hexagonal center of the wing. I cut out the piece, leaving off the flaps. Then I glued a copy of it to the inside, making sure to take a little off each edge so the spare part would fit inside. I then closed it up and glued it to the pylon wing root.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And as usual, I repeated it on the other side. Then I proceeded to create the part that joins to the cockpit ball. I cut out the side pieces, leaving off the flaps, and glued them both to a piece of the heavy-duty cardboard. Then I cut them out and glued them back-to-back. When that was dry I glued the outside edge to that part, and finally I glued it to the rest of the pylon assembly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After those were dry I glued the triangular supports onto the heavy-duty cardboard and glued them to the pylon assemblies.

[​IMG]

Then I laminated the front armor of the pylon and glued it to the assembly.

[​IMG]

After those were done I set them aside to do the cockpit ball. I started with the middle ring and I used a copy of it to add the flaps for butt joints.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I thought you guys would like to see a mini-tutorial on how to make a round part really round. First you take the piece and roll it up the long way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then you give it a curve along the length of the part.

[​IMG]

Then you glue the ends together and work it into a spheroidal shape. At this time I would also add in the interior flaps, seen here in red. I used the interior parts as a template, because I didn't plan on doing an interior. This is complicated enough as it is.

[​IMG]

I am pleased at how it turned out.

[​IMG]

When it dried(while I was out to see a live production on Seven Brides for Seven Brothers! It was great!) I added the cockpit windows.

[​IMG]

Then I worked on the tail end. I took the liberty to add what I considered a grave omission in the original: the signature Twin Ion Engines! I also added the rear-view window and plating around the reactor core.

[​IMG]

When that dried I did the most delicate parts last, the twin laser cannons. Nothing really special about them, save that I used those same parts for the engines.

[​IMG]

After those dried I buttoned up the whole ship and voile'! One Imperial Twin Ion Engine Space Superiority Starfighter! :thumb:

[​IMG]

Here are some finished pics taken inside a lit case at the house I was staying in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope you guys enjoyed this little addition to the contest! The next project I have is my own Moldy Crow. :)
  9. Tim Crowe

Tim Crowe Member

Great Model - It looks menacing, like its sitting there in the cabinet watching and waiting

Long live the empire!
  10. col. kurtz

col. kurtz Member

:thumb:excellent build m.f.:thumb:
    thnaks for sharing with us.:) good luck in the comp.:)
    (with your build report i can now build this thanks again m8)
    :thumb::thumb:
  11. logicman

logicman Greybeard

I'm a big Star Wars fan.

Great build and tutorial. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

A sphere is absolutely the hardest thing to make in card/paper,
    but you've done a really good job of it.

Good luck in the competition.:thumb:

If I understand correctly, you added some detail
    that's not in the kit.

Could you make a jpeg, or whatever and stick it in the uploads?
    I might want to build this myself, and it would help enormously
    if I could steal your ideas.:rolleyes:

:wave:
  12. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

I love this TIE fighter!! Neat build there!
  13. Gearz

Gearz Member

Yep certainly enjoyed it MF! ~ Excellent build ~ the dome looks great N perfect lighting for the final pics!. :thumb::thumb:

* The Empire might have been heavy handed, but I don't think you could rule an empire as vast as the SW universe using 'Peace Love and Mung Beans' ..

TIE PILOT .. where do I sign up.. :yep:
  14. wedge

wedge Member

Perfect work M.F. Very nice decoration :) I can imagine another models in this display case , especially The Moldy crow...I really , REALLY looking forward to see you building it !!! :thumb:
  15. DarthPineapple

DarthPineapple Member

That's one of the cleanest builds of a TIE Fighter I've ever seen... Good job! :thumb:
  16. Millenniumfalsehood

Lol, well, I didn't really add anything that wasn't already in the kit. I just printed out a piece of cardstock with a solid 8"x10" rectangle of blue on it and cut out pieces to fit, such as the ribs on the perimeter of the wings(they are about 2mm, IIRC). If I saw details that would be practical to laminate I cut out the spare and glued it to another piece of cardstock and cut out the pieces. This was a mostly stock build, if you can believe that. The hardest part was figuring out how to make the cockpit ball round.

Thanks for the compliments! I really appreciate them! :D

Since this TIE is approximately 1:48 scale, I imagine my Moldy Crow will go greatly with it, Wedge. I just need to fix the problem of it printing too darkly. I think I'll just convert the images to another format and brighten them via Paint.NET. :)
  17. outersketcher

outersketcher Illustrator, Tinker

Nice build.. I am particularly impressed with that sphere!
  18. Soaring

Soaring Guest

The Tie Fighter itself is impressive! Excellent job millenuim! If I may ask, what glue did you use :)
  19. Millenniumfalsehood

Plain old Roseart white glue. The cap has a nifty little spreader that makes gluing easier.
  20. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Member

Excellent build