Free Model #3 - ICM's Panzer IV Ausf D

Discussion in 'Armory & Military' started by KCStephens, Jan 24, 2008.

1. CK Styles

CK Styles Senior Member

Fantastic! Such precision at that scale has always amazed me. Cant' wait to see this one finished ...
  2. exzealot

exzealot Member

I can't believe the precision of your work! These are really small (and detailed) parts.

Looking fantastic!

Ken
  3. KCStephens

KCStephens Member

Few more bits and pieces

Well, I keep whittling away at it bit by bit....
    Here are some recent photos of my progress from this past weekend. I know it doesn't look like much but with everything else going on around the house It's about all I could manage to do. I have a long way to go before the June 30 deadline. - We'll just have to see how it goes - If I don't make it that's okay, I just don't want to throw it together and ruin what I've done so far. I have too much time invested to do that.

Little odds 'n ends....I put wooden handles on the shovel, axe, and bolt cutters. The cleaning rod and jack crank were made from the shafts of q-tip cotton swabs that were slit apart and unwound to a smaller diameter then painted to match. (the jack itself was finished up a few weeks ago)
    I still have to add the hold-down straps to the tools before mounting them to the tank.
    [​IMG]

This picture shows the 3D texture of the track with the grouser bars glued in place... I'm almost half way done - just have the bottom side to go.[​IMG]
  4. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

Kevin: Those tracks are to DIE for!!
    Carry on, comrade!
    Jim
  5. KCStephens

KCStephens Member

Bottom haf done!

It's been awhile, I have been very busy at work - not as much time to spend modeling as I'd like but I have made some progress.

I finished up the lower half of the Panzer - Only have the turret to go. I hope to have everything complete by the deadline including the upgrade sheet with all of my little extras. We'll just have to wait and see. I'm going to give it everything I've got.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's it for now. I hope to have everything else done in time.
    Gotta go Cut and glue... time is ticking...!:wave:
  6. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Only the turret to go! Great job on the tracks and the tools!!
  7. charliec

charliec Active Member

Very nice - you should think about building a 1/25 Halinski armour model - your skills would be easily good enough to build one of these well.

Regards,

Charlie
  8. lriera

lriera Member

Very good job until now. I am impressed by the tidiness of your construction. I want to see the continuation of your work.

Greetings.
  9. KCStephens

KCStephens Member

Upgrade sheet finished

Thanks to all for your positive comments so far.

Shifting gears a little...

Today I worked on the parts upgrade sheet for the Panzer. This sheet includes all of the little extras that I used on my build. My design experience is very basic. I drew the parts with turbo CAD, then hand wrote the assembly instructions and illustrations. I scanned the finished sheet and saved it as a jpeg. I have also attached this file here in the Zealot download section.
    [​IMG]

Please Enjoy,

Kevin

Attached Files:

10. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

wow... please say your doing the T34.
  11. KCStephens

KCStephens Member

Turret under way!

I managed to get most of the pieces for the turret cut out and a few sub assemblies completed. Not too much more to go. I can begin to see the light at the end of the tunnel. My wife will also be glad when this whole thing comes to an end. She is very supportive of me and my past time but she's beginning to complain that things around the house are starting to fall apart. I've got to wrap it up soon or else....

Steveo,
    YES! The T34 is on my list of things to do... but I need to take a little break for now. Maybe I'll do that one for the next free model contest if there is one. Either way I'll definitely post the build here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a quick pic of my work space. It's totally trashed and in a state of disrepair. I desperately need some cleanup and organization...but no time for that now!
    [​IMG]

Thats it for now...
    Hopefully my next post will have the final pics...Stay tuned!
    Kevin
  12. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Only the turret left! Keep it up for the last 2 days!!
  13. KCStephens

KCStephens Member

Done!!!

I have finally finished the Panzer!
    All I can say is... WOW! What a great little model. I enjoyed building it very much. There were times when I thought I'd never be able to finish on time, but I was able to get it in just before the final buzzer. Thanks to everyone for your kind words and support thruout this build. I especially would like to thank the designer at ICM paper models for making this model available free of charge and Toddlea for putting this whole contest together.
    Please enjoy!
    Kevin.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  14. Toddlea

Toddlea Member

I would like to congratulate you on an amazing build. You have captured exactly what I was hoping to achive with this contest. With a little care, creativity and enthusiasm these "free models" can compete with any of the published kits available. Again, Well Done!
  15. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Work well done!!! This is nothing short of the quality of a plastic model!
  16. outersketcher

outersketcher Illustrator, Tinker

Nice work. And nice photography too! A simple, clean, solid build. With hi detailing in all the right places.
  17. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

Fantastic! What an impressive piece of work! And tanks for the page of upgrades as well.
    Congratulations on a wonderful piece of modeling.
    Chris
  18. z5strikers

z5strikers New Member

wow truly inspiring work. well done!
  19. exzealot

exzealot Member

Wow! How can a "free" model come out this good? It must be the builder! Congratulations on a fine build. Framable photography too.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

What's next?

Ken
  20. KCStephens

KCStephens Member

Thank you all for your nice comments. I really enjoyed building this one.

Ken, My next project is is not nearly as involved as this one. I'm working on an other free tank download. A Stewart Honey. I'll start another build thread here in the near future.

Kevin