Free Model #3 - HMS Dreadnought by Mark_1984

Millenniumfalsehood

Mar 17, 2007
Ark City, Kansas
Very nice looking build so far! Seeing as how the camera adds flaws that aren't really there(wink, wink!), this model must look ten times better in real life. :thumb: This thread will come in handy when I'm building my own HMS Dreadnought kit. :)

M

Mark_1984

Slow progress as work has got in the way. ANyway, I've got all the barbettes fitted, and the forward breakwater and a bollard fitted to the foredeck.

SSL12857.jpg

The lookout tower at the top of the main mast is also done. This was a tricky little devil, and came out OK, but not great. The aft mast is proving a bit of a poser as I can't find any dimensions for it ???

SSL12858.jpg

I've also got two of the turrets done, and put in place. Still get the barrels to do (talk about stating the obvious !)

SSL12860.jpg

With the end of the competition coming in a few days, it's obvious that I'm not going to get the model finished in time. Oh well, never mind, I shall continue the build and this thread of course.

KCStephens

Sep 18, 2007
York, PA
announce1Go Mark! announce1Go Mark! announce1Go Mark! announce1GO!

announce1Just Keep building!

announce1cut - roll - glue - cut - roll - glue - cut - roll - glue...

You don't have too much more to go.

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

M

Mark_1984

Thanks for the words of encouragment guys..... I'm busy warming up my fingers as I type sign1

I've killed the last few white dots on the fore deck. Just need to apply the anchors in this area now.

SSL12861.jpg

The rear tripod just didn't seem to have any dimensions, so I did what any true perfectionist would do. I had a butchers at the photos and guessed that it was slightly over double the height of the deckhouse overall. Seems to have come out OK. The tripod is made from bits of paper clip wire, painted grey. I just need to file the top flat so that the platfrom stays level.

SSL12864.jpg

Guns !! As you all know, I can't roll a tube for toffee. I tried, and failed, yet again !! Plan B - I've used bits of paper clip, and wrapped a bit of paper round them to simulate the step in the barrel. They will get painted grey later.

SSL12865.jpg

Here they are in the turret, and on the ship. However, it was the first attempt and a bit scrappy, and the turrets were also not up to the standard I was aiming for. So these are just here to give an idea of what it will look like eventually.

SSL12867.jpg

Finally for today, here are the search lights on the rear platforms. I think this completes all the flaming search lights - they are a pain to do !!

SSL12869.jpg

Whet's left ? 5 turrets, 1 lookout platform, 2 masts, 14 AA guns, tender boats, and anchors........ I did think about finishing off the front, and only photographing that for the comp.... but nobody's daft enough to fall for that trick sign1

jaffro

Long term member
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Looking good Mark! I've been using the cotton bud method myself the last couple of days in an attempt to finish off my Interceptor. Partially because I too cannot roll small tubes to save myself, and partially because I just plain lost the parts sheet and can't print another. :D

Never say never, you CAN finish this before the end date of the comp... here, have ANOTHER coffee. :D

M

Mark_1984

Well, I had so much coffee, I couldn't cut straight !!!!
I did get the rear tripod and lookout post done, but left my camera at work (Doh !!)
Unfortuantely I'm going to have to admit defeat. I'm off on hols tomorrow, although, coming down of the coffee high, I shall probably spend all week sleeping !!!

I've now decided that my model is finished, depicting the Dreadnought during her build, in the later stages of outfitting sign1
(did the rules say you had to finish the model ;))

Joking aside, this is a great competition, and good luck to everybody who entered. Lots of models finished that are far better than mine, so I'm not really too disappointed about not finishing.

M

Mark_1984

I'm still plodding on. Here is the rear lookout tower attached.

SSL12876.jpg

I've made a start on the launches. These are difficult to do. I tried gluing the deck to the hull sort of in the middle, and then pulling the bow and stern in, but this didn't work very well. Plan B was to make the hull and then glue the deck to it. This proved much more successful.

SSL12878.jpg

M

Mark_1984

A little more slow progress. I've finished the four launches now. Didn't really enjoy these much. Too small and tricky.....

SSL12900.jpg

S

Soaring

Whoot! Still going strong hm? Nice job Mark, those boats are fantastic ^^