[Free Model #3] - Canon's Komatsu Loading Shovel

Status
Not open for further replies.

David H

I have to admit I do keep thinking about the mobile crane... always loved those things.

Saw an awesome 8 wheel off-road pipe carrying truck today on a construction site. It was a bit futuristic looking, forward control cab like the crane or the Alvis Stalwart, but the tyres were even bigger! It was lugging two 2m x 15m (?) steel pipes!

I always loved the stalwart...

pristine.JPG

D

W

whulsey

I'd downloaded that just 'cause, now after seeing yours with a few upgrades, might have to move it up in the digital stack.

bclemens

D, I just wanted to say...I LOVE the way you presented your build- what with the cartoon text bubbles and overlapping images. The care you took with the model is reflected in the quality of the presentation. Just enough tongue-in-cheek "I don't take this too seriously" flavor. Bravo!

Bruce

David H

Teaser

Just two quick pics.

I have finished the build but haven't got time to do the full Monty presentation 'thang' just now so please accept the attached... more later!

teaser - 5792.jpg

teaser-2 - 5796.jpg

D

logicman

Greybeard
David, you've turned this from a kid's toy into something that just screams:
"GET OUT OF MY WAY, PUNK!"

Nicely done.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

:wave:

outersketcher

Illustrator, Tinker
I've only just now discovered your build thread. I enjoyed your designed, graphical presentations. Nice work sir. Those chunky tires look solid. Are you going to throw some mud&yuck onto the tires and body?

I was wondering... That cube thingie... I've read past posts on it, and I know it has something to do with determining scale somehow... heck, I've even downloaded it. But, how is it used? What do you do with it? Other than taking cool pictures of it next to great models. ; )

David

David H

Awww you all say such nice things... bit busy at work but will provide the final instalment in a day or three.

David, the cube is just as you say, it is 5 centimetres on a side and give scale to models and individual components. In my profession we always use a suitable scale when photographing a "thing or stuff" but I can claim no credit in the design or creation of blue and white cube!

MUD! No, I don't think I will be weathering the Komatsu, she is being left as new, just delivered, plastic wrap on the seat "new smell" in the cab.

D

Photography

Notwithstanding your excellent build, I also wanted to call attention to your equally excellent photography. I suspect many of our members think it a challenge when, really, all that's needed is a constant light source, a cardboard box with the top removed and sides cut down, a piece of light blue or grey posterboard, and a tripod.

David H

Tripods are the key (got at least 5 in the house) from dinky table top toys to might steel towers with a maximum lift of well over 2m. I have a well loved, well used and very heavy example for most of my model pictures. Its a real windy day tripod and too heavy to carry about without a very good reason.

If I need to get in close I use a very posable and flexible Malfronto which is a wonderful and very light bit of kit.

I tend towards an all white photographic area composed of the remains of a sheet of illustration board and artfully arranged sheets of A3 paper! I can assemble disassemble in a couple of minutes. I have used grey card and would consider other neutral colours it required by the subject but I take the wonderful D&K illustrated books as my example.

Less is defiantly more.

Library - 5922.jpg

Lighting: hmmm. Text book says you need 4 lamps. I usually use 2 sometimes 3 and very occasionally 4.

One lamp is positioned close to the axis of the camera and one to the side. I use angle poise reading lamps and try to eliminate harsh shadows and I sometimes use greaseproof paper diffusers over the lamps.

Library - 5916.jpg

Digital cameras are great, even a the cheapest ones take a picture which will be fine at web page resolution (will Zealot HD come to a browser near you one day?). My cameras do not have oodles of mega-pixels but do have good lenses.

Use the macro function to get in to about 8' - 12' (20cm - 30cm). Switch off the auto flash and use manual focus if you got it.

I have one last secret but I am keeping mum on that for a wee bit longer. If you look carefully you can see it...

On with the photography

D

David H

Canon Komatsu F Photographs

Everyone is posting their finished shots, please find mine below.

Komatsu comic - 39.jpg

Komatsu comic - 40.jpg

Komatsu comic - 41.jpg

Komatsu comic - 42.jpg

Komatsu comic - 43.jpg

Final words, this is a great little model!

D

Status
Not open for further replies.