[Free Model #3] - Building the Bald Eagles

metoo

Sep 15, 2007
Did a little more on these eagles last night.

Started the wing frames, but couldn't make heads nor tails from the instruction pics. Maybe it was because I was tired but thought maybe others would have a problem too so took these pics as I went along.
I don't know if i made it harder on myself or not but did get them built. In the pics below that show both the large and the smaller pieces the smaller one shows the tabs before gluing & the large show after gluing.
000_0001.jpg

000_0002.jpg

000_0003.jpg

000_0004.jpg

000_0005.jpg

000_0006.jpg

In the pic below you can see a tab stick out from the point of the triangular piece on the large piece. This was supposed to be inside the point, but I screwed up and didn't do it.
000_0007.jpg

By the time you get to this point the rest is pretty easy to figure out.
Finished wing frames below:
000_0008.jpg

metoo

Sep 15, 2007
Thank you Peter & lriera for the encouraging words.

I have never done a build thread before so was a little worried that I might be putting in too many pics and/or boring people. I basically have just been putting up what I would like to see (as a beginner) in a thread like this.

I did get a little more done on the wings last night but don't have the pics downloaded to my computer yet.

Kathie

Toddlea

Aug 14, 2006
Sparks, Nevada
Kathie - Your doing a great job on this thread. You can never have enough content in a thread. More pictures, more comments, more experiences........more better. Keep it up!

metoo

Sep 15, 2007
Thank you Toddlea & smyfe.

I finally downloaded my pics so here is the start of the wings.

100_0091.jpg

The end feathers ready to glue together:
100_0092.jpg

I glued them together in sets before gluing them all together:
100_0093.jpg

100_0094.jpg

Here are the wing tips glued into the wing frames. They just slid in the ends so nice. I didn't score or fold the feathers for the smallest eagle and at this time I like them the best. Here is my hind-sight again....If I was to do this again I would make a very sharp crease (at the score line)at the top of each feather where the tabs are and glue a very small spot just below the tabs. This would be to flatten the area more where the tabs connect to make the tabs stronger.

100_0095.jpg

Now onto the next set of feathers. These are very easy to figure where they go by the instructional pics. The only thing I found was that pieces 46 & 62 are opposites but you can see by pic that the gray on 46 is white on 62. This isn't a problem unless you are like me and put glue on the white part of 62 before you realize it doesn't go there. I guess I should pay closer attention.
100_0096.jpg

100_0097.jpg

100_0098.jpg

That's it for the basic layer of feathers next message will have more feather layers.

Kathie

metoo

Sep 15, 2007
I forgot to mention.... If you use clamps like I did, you have to be very careful where you put them or you will smash the wing frame.
Kathie

metoo

Sep 15, 2007
Thank you Lex. I am not finding the model near as complicated as trying to figure out the instructional pics. All in all I am enjoying building this a lot.

milenio3, Thank you for the comment on the photo. There are very few things I know of that are as majestic as a bald eagle. Where I used to live, for 20+ years, we had bald eagles nesting. I used to watch them catch the fish in the lake and watch the young eaglets growing up. I miss that a lot.

I have more pics of this build that I will be posting shortly.
Kathie

metoo

Sep 15, 2007
Here is more on the layered feathers.

Attaching piece 48 and its counterpart to the wings.
Again the smaller one at the bottom of pics show the two pieces separated and the larger one shows them attached.
100_0100.jpg

I glued #49 & 50 together.

100_0099.jpg

Before I glued these onto the other side of the wings, I dry fit #51 to make sure all the white would be covered. I marked the wing to show me where I should glue on 49/50 as these did not fit as smoothly as the first side. ( Maybe because I glued them together first?)
100_0101.jpg

100_0102.jpg

Getting ready to glue #51 and #52 together.
100_0103.jpg

Altogether and ready to glue on to the wing frames. I know the one looks like a diferent color but it is just my lousy pics.
100_0104.jpg

Well, this completes thess layers.
100_0105.jpg

Getting ready to put what I call the 'caps' on the wings. This will wait for another day.
100_0106.jpg

When I mention a part number I also mean it's counterpart for the second wing. The instructions are very specific about working on both wings at the same time to keep the symmetry. Of course I am working on 6 wings at the same time.

Kathie

metoo

Sep 15, 2007
JH, thank you . I have never done a build thread before and am enjoying doing it a lot.

Lex & CK Styles, Even while building this I am very impressed with the designing of it. Each major component I get done is kind of a wow factor for me. I have looked at pics of the finished ones that others have done and they are beautiful. Hope mine turns out as well.

So far my opinion is that it is not a difficult model to this point, but the directions are somewhat difficult for me. First because it is hard for me to see the small pics and also because I feel some steps are missing. Of course I like complete step by step pics even to the point of being redundant, so again just my personal opinion.

I have finished the wings and will be putting up pics later tonight. Now the only major components are the feet and then I will be able to get the parts combined and complete these magnificent birds. (I may just change my mind about the difficulty of this model when I do the feet. I'll see soon.)

Kathie

metoo

Sep 15, 2007
On with the wing 'caps'
The pic belows shows part #53 curved to fit over the top of the wing and it's counterpart before it was curved.
100_0107.jpg

Here it is being slid onto the wing:
100_0108.jpg

Now it is attached which is pretty much the completed layering of feathers on this side of the wing. There will be more that are rolled over the top of the wing from the other side.
100_0109.jpg

100_0110.jpg

Now to the other side of the wings. You can see on the smaller one below how the piece above(#53) looks after it was rolled over the top. The smaller one also shows the one feather (#54) that is next to go on, while the larger wing shows it on.
I put these on following the markings as to were they go which has the top edge above the top of the wing. I didn't really care for the way it looked but thought it will be fine in the end.
When I put the next piece (#55) on I didn't like the way it fit but already had it glued, so couldn't do much about it without making a mess. I went ahead and did the other large wing the same, but I cut (#54) on the smaller wings so the feather was even with the top of the wings and the next piece fit much better.
100_0111.jpg

Getting #55 & # 56 ready to put on. Curling #56 on the edge of the table helped a lot in getting the curved end glued.
100_0112.jpg

Attaching #55. Again the smaller wing on the lower part of pic shows the pieces before and the larger shows the piece attached. After glue drys on this side the piece is just curved over the top of the wing and glued on the other side too.
100_0113.jpg

This pics shows both sides of the completed wing components. I seemed to of forgotten to take pic of attaching #56. I was very easy and just slipped over the end of the wing.
100_0114.jpg

That's it for the wings. Next I will be doing the last major components of these birds....the feet.

Kathie

lriera

Aug 28, 2007
Barcelona - Spain
The wings are looking very well. You can be proud of them. With those on your back the feets are going to be a piece of cake for you.

Thanks for sharing and your complete explanations.

metoo

Sep 15, 2007
Just to let you all know, I am having computer problems and it may be a couple of weeks before I get them worked out. At this point I have to use a different computer because I can't even get into mine.
As soon as I get that straightened out I will continue on with the eagles.