Free ballast...

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by ezdays, Dec 14, 2006.

1. jgrepps

jgrepps New Member

Walnut shells are used for sandblasting as well. I had read somewhere that Woodland Scenics Ballast was in fact walnut shells. I'd assume you could dye the shells or paint them.

Here's some math.....

WS fine Balast in a 32 oz shaker weighs just under 1.5 lbs
    WS 32 oz shaker @ $8.29 (@towerhobbies) = $4.14/lbs or $0.25/oz
    50 lbs of walnut shells = $52 = $1.04/lbs or $0.06/oz

I found the walnut shells at the link below, I'd assume you could find it cheaper elsewhere.

http://www.hisglassworks.com/cart/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=292
  2. railBuilderdhd

railBuilderdhd Member

What island do you need to go to for the dark sand? I'm thinking the next trip to Hawaii will be the big island - an I lucky???
    Dave
  3. railBuilderdhd

railBuilderdhd Member

I went to the local stone engraver and the "dust" they end up with seems like it's to much of a powder to use as ballast on an HO scale track. Don't you need something a little larger for the rocks?
    Dave
  4. Damn Hook

Damn Hook New Member

Well, if anyone is interested, I can dig some of those black/gray & the white little rocks out and mail some to you. Don't have money right now to get started on a layout like I hoped. So if someone wants to try 'em out, or have some in hand to know if it works to find more, I can pack as much as you want, that's not too heavy. :thumb:

Doesn't do any good for it to sit in the garage. Or for me to search for more if it's not useful for anyone, or anything.

Combat: You know you want some... :cool::wave:

Edit. A picture for the people who didn't see it before.
    [​IMG]
  5. COMBAT

COMBAT Member

Ahh those dont look bad. They are a little dark for what I need though. :(
  6. lester perry

lester perry Guest

I use stone dust from local asphalt plant. I have heard all the stories about metal in it. I have never had any trouble from shorts or magnets in motors picking it up. It would have to be a really strong magnet to pick it up from that distance an get it through the frame to the motor. I mean just to break it free from the glue, wow I would love to see the locomotive with that magnet in it. I have run without gluing it down and no ill effects. and I get a 5 gallon bucket for free take it home and sift it. I use the real stuff.
    Les
  7. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Active Member

Don't breathe any of it or magnets will be the least of your problems. :cry:

Personally, I like to stick to non-toxic stuff.
  8. fire5506

fire5506 New Member

I'm wondering if those little colored rocks are the rocks that are mixed into Terrazzo floors? Terrazzo floors are a rock and concrete mix that is ground smooth after it is cured. The little colored rocks show up then.