Freds computer ribbon cable

P

philip

Freds computer ribbon cable as saw blades. Thanks for sending them Fred!

:)

Attachments

• P1010065.JPG
    P1010065.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 197
P

philip

saw blades

Guys, This is a quick easy project that I made in about 2 hours

The basic idea is to first make a curved convex piece like the prototype blade out of flatbrass. Thin stuff that can be cut with an exacto knife. Basically I use the Paulsen-Knudsen blade as a guide from Jons signature template. Shrunk it down to o-scale. Went out to the garage and looked at the real one I had. Measured it. Five feet long. Then take that (connector) blade looking thing that Fred sent today and rip it close to the edge of the teeth with the dremel tool without destroying the look of the thingie. Then take the thingie pieces and glue (CA) them on to the stock along the curvature of the blade. I glued it all down to a piece of plastic that can serve as a tool shadow board if the molding fail. The two handles are .025 plastic rod notched & hammered. Where the new teeth marry with the stock I filled it with the old green puddy and then sanded it flush. The last step was picking the excess puddy out of the teeth.

glad its done

Attachments

• PKLogo.jpg
    PKLogo.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 161
F

Fred_M

Hey Philip, try making one of these with a cut down blade. That's a great idea, cutting them down with a dremel. Fred

Attachments

• buck.jpg
    buck.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 131
P

philip

what is it..........

Thanks Val.

Fred , Is that one of those old prototype cord saws? I have never seen one of those. What is it? Odd looking tension system?

F

Fred_M

That's a bucksaw Philip. The turnbuckle at the top tensions the blade. These were very common to cut firewood and delimb before chainsaws. This example has finer teeth than most, most were of the type like the two man saw that you built first. Fred

P

philip

Fred,

Buck saw. Whats the blade length on one of those? I used one of those modern ones with the silver handle. It had a 3 ft blade? I prefer a chain saw :)

The mold of the original saw is all sticky. bad mixture. some stumps to hopefully it will cure enough to save the work.
oh well.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
See if you can find closeout jigsaw blades for straight blads as in the buck saw.

In Cobblers Knob, the bucksaw reigned for many years after the introduction of the chainsaw. It wasn't until they discovered the pull start and overcame the fear of the enourmous roar did they begin using the chainsaw instead of the bucksaw. They now spend less time cutting wood, but unfortunately, most residents now have less than the standard issue of appendages. So all the saved time is spent trying to do such tasks as tying ones shoes.

F

Fred_M

jon-monon said:
See if you can find closeout jigsaw blades for straight blads as in the buck saw.

In Cobblers Knob, the bucksaw reigned for many years after the introduction of the chainsaw. It wasn't until they discovered the pull start and overcame the fear of the enourmous roar did they begin using the chainsaw instead of the bucksaw. They now spend less time cutting wood, but unfortunately, most residents now have less than the standard issue of appendages. So all the saved time is spent trying to do such tasks as tying ones shoes.

Reminds me of the "what's that noise" joke. Fred

F

Fred_M

philip said:
Fred,

Buck saw. Whats the blade length on one of those? I used one of those modern ones with the silver handle. It had a 3 ft blade? I prefer a chain saw :)

The mold of the original saw is all sticky. bad mixture. some stumps to hopefully it will cure enough to save the work.
oh well.
3 feet's about right, can't wait to see a casting, I may be your first customer. LOL Fred

P

philip

Yessir I'm always dreaming :p

aag.sized.jpg

jon grant image.