Fredaville Terminal

jon-monon

I'll call it the Fredaville Terminal so as not to insult the Edaville nuts who work so hard at accuracy.

The real Edaville terminal is a 2 foot gauge, and not many of us will be doing it in HOn2 or On2, so I've drawn it in HOn30 (2 1/2 foot gauge). The basic idea could even be used on a standard gauge layout. It packs a lot of punch in a small area, perhaps an unused corner. Cute little turntable could easily be scratch build and you have the turntable you always dreamed of.

The drawing is to scale as far as track goes, but that's about it. This is not a true rendition of Edaville, it's just Fredaville. I'll post the ral file (atlas Right Track) in our yahoo group.

Attachments

• evilleterm.jpg
    evilleterm.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 356
Looks nice

Looks pretty nice Jon, I presume there will be other connections off the main and branch, as this looks a little sparse for a complete layout :)

jon-monon

Hi SS - where ya been :D

Yes, if I use it it would be part of a much larger scheme. I drew it seperately so the good folks here can use it if they like. Curve the main on the left to parallel the branch and it would do nice in a corner!

Tyson Rayles

Interesting plan Jon. With the track from the turntable to the repair shed creating a double diamond and the angles to the edge of the layout it has a lot of visual appeal. :cool:

RailRon

Hej, Jon, this is a terminal trackplan with lots of appeal. And it makes for a lot of interesting switching, too.

Like Tyson I love that feeder track between turntable and car repair shed, crossing both main tracks. As it seems, the LPBs have to push a car to the repair shop by hand. (Oh well, on a two footer line this might be possible... ;-))

Another spot of interest is the southern lead to the enginehouse. Looks like it connects to the other tracks by a double slip switch. And this on a backwoods line? The track foreman of that RR company must have had a real hot love for complex trackwork... :rolleyes: ;) :p

Is this a product of your fantasy, or is this a trackplan based on reality?

Ron

jon-monon

Hi Ron, sorry, I didn't mean to ignore your questions! I somehow missed your post. The plan is loosely based on Edaville Terminal, renamed so as not to insult any die hard Edaville fans :D :D :D The reference was Sept 68 RMC:

http://index.mrmag.com/tm.exe?opt=I&MAG=RMC&MO=9&YR=1968&output=3&sort=A

I don't know a lot about Edaville, but it's a 2 ft gauge tourist line. I believe it's been put together using mostly 2 ft gauge equipment from the infamous old Main 2 footers. They have a website:

http://www.edaville.org/

I would consider it "backwoods" for the most part:

http://home.att.net/~edaville-rr/new_edaville.html#edavillemap

This line could be modeled in it's entirety and would make a wonderful layout for someone wanting to do a lot of scenery.

I drew Fredaville using using RTS software and N scale track, as an HOn30 project. Of course HOn2 would be accurate to the gauge of Edaville. Fredaville would do nicely, I think in any scale narrow or standard with few adjustments.

Pooh Bah
I visited Edaville once, so I can tell you a lot abouit it. :D
At the time I visited, they had a collection of standard gauge equipment as well -- I think one unit was the Flying Yankee (like theoriginal California Zephyr, but a bit more uptight).
You could make an interesting model of the cranberry bogs in autumn by running the ends out and arounf a bathtub filled with cranberry juice. :)
(Cranberries are harvested by filling the bogs with water and scooping the berries off the surface. I think they may use a wave machine to shake them loose.)
so endeth the trivia lesson for today.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
That's a neat plan Jon! Like others have said that track from the turntable to the repair shop is an eye catching element. RailRon's comment made me wonder though...would there be enough room for a loco and car to get on the turntable to push equipment to the repair shop or would getting a crew of guys together to push it be more like it? Nice switchnig layout!
Ralph

jon-monon

Thanks for the insite, 6.

They have to have a crew there to turn the turntable by hand, so they mihgt as well roll the rolling stock to keep their little plastic muscles in shape :D :D :D