Found Dads old Train set....need advice, pics inside:)

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by RTGreen, Aug 6, 2005.

1. toast-of-demise

toast-of-demise New Member

i have a old train set,too!

i have an old train set of my grandpa rotting away in the closet besides me because i can't get the metal chest it is cursed to almost eternal sleeep in...:cry:
  2. JerrylovesTrns

JerrylovesTrns New Member

Well, TOD, take a crowbar and start whacking at the case! Or dill a whole and take a sawzall and gut the chest apart! :eek: Anything to get at those trains.
  3. Chief Eagles

Chief Eagles Active Member

Track is cleanable. Some use a heavy erraser but I use a very fine grit [like wet sanding cars] sandpaper. Clean the pins too [I pull them out and clean the whole thing]. Now if the rust got through the paper insulators on the center rail, you will have to replace. If not, give it a good WD40 wipe down. The K-Line track mentioned above is excellent and not too costly. Easier to go that way. Be sure the engien gets a good oiling and a light lube on the gears. Your local hobby shop should have train lube and a needle oiler [makes less mess]. Then oil the ends of the axles on the cars and a light oiling on the couplers will not hurt. On the transformer, be sure the cord is not brittle and will not short out. Have fun.
  4. wrmcclellan

wrmcclellan Member

RT,

I would avoid trying to clean the Rio Grande box car. The silver paint on older Lionels can be quite fragile sometimes. If you ruin the silver, the value of the car drops severely. If you must clean it, then test on a small area that is as unnoticable as possible.

Good luck! That is a great looking set you have there!

Regards,
    Roy
  5. Dr. John

Dr. John Member

Your track looks to be usable. A good cleaning with emory cloth or a "brite boy" abrasive eraser will probably make those pieces servicible again. Just be sure you NEVER use steel wool to clean your track - all of those little metal filings will end up in the electric motor of your locomotives.

Overall it looks like you came up with a great find!
  6. toast-of-demise

sounds worth a try if i can find any saws or crap.
  7. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

I didnt read every post in the thread but I will post any way.

Go ahead and clean them up in the kitchen sint, use regular dish soap, NOT the GREEN stuff. It takes of the paint.

Use a worn soft tooth brush and rinse with hot tap water and let them drain and dry.
    Personaly I dont care for dirty trains, I dont care how old the dust is, dirt is not a "pattena", it is just dirt.

I even put a littlle armour-all on mine.

Junk the track and start with new and clean up the switches. DONT USE a brillo pad on track ot switches.

Lightly oil the engine and let it go, it should run oK, if not spray it out with radio shack's elecrical parts cleaner, if they still sell it. They have less and less actual radio stuff each year. I never go ther any more. Cell phones and computers is about all they have. There adds may say the have answers....well, they dont.

You can get a handle for the transforner easy enogh.

Thor;s sites are great read them all.

These are my opinions...they may not work for you and others my dissagree with me but This works for me, but dont do anything on my say so.
  8. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

Shoot they are only plastic, some are bakalite....Ivory Liquid will clean them fine.

Just dont use anything you wouldnt put on your face or hands. If you arent sure, use baby shampo.

Every one thinksthier Lionel must be worth a thousand dollars or two.

Goto a hobby shop and get a Greenburgs pocket guide to values for $8.

Also pic up a copy of Classic Toy Trains and enjot yourself.

Email me with any questions, that will be fine.

Gilbreth J Finn@aol.com:thumb:
  9. toast-of-demise

@my old train: i couldn't lift that thing to the sink if my life depended on it!