Fortezza Shuttle Printing Problem!

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by rlwhitt, Oct 31, 2006.

1. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Bengt, EKuth, or anyone else who has printed this beastie:

I'm having trouble with parts sheet #6, which contains the starboard wing and some other bits. All the dark areas with tile and other features are coming out BLACK - no tile detail at all. No other sheets print like this for me. Printing on a Canon i860, though I've also tried an Epson, which is better, but not quite right either (plus the colors don't match anyway).

Anyone else had this problem?

Thanks!
    Rick
  2. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Mis-match of Tile and Wing Patterns and Colours

Yes, Rick,

I have also experienced this problem when I got my printed sheets from the local print shop. At first, I thought something had happened with their reading of the pdf files but no, they got the same results as I did when I test printed the same pages on my Mac.
    The biggest problem is to get a uniform colour and tile pattern (black or light grey) on the underside of the orbiter, from the nose all the way through the fuselage to the flap below the main engines.
    Its also difficult to get a pair of wings that matches - for example the STS-30 Atlantis mission, which had the US flag and 'USA' text on the left wing ('Space shuttle 7' sheet) and the 'worm' NASA logo and the name 'Atlantis on the right wing ('Shuttle Atlantis 6 worm' sheet).
    The right wing has the proper black stripe between the ailerons and flaps but the left wing doesn´t - I´ll just have to mirror-reverse, cut and paste this strip or paint the little rectangles by hand with a thin marker pen or some semi-matte hobby paint. But it won´t look exactly the same as the printed sheet and there will be visible edges.

However, Hans Christian in Manilla in The Phillipines has worked out a very nice solution to the bottom tile and wing problem. Try sending him a PM and ask him about the word file with his 'updates' - I hope this is OK with you, Hans?

Raimondo Fortezza should be made aware of this problem so that he could rectify it or make a couple of updates on the Marscenter home page.

I hope this works out for you. Btw, here´s a link to the Marscenter modelling page in English: http://www.marscenter.it/eng/veicol.asp?pa=605

Best,
    Bengt :wink:
  3. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Landing gear and Cockpit Interior for Fortezza Shuttles

Hi all,

Is there anybody who needs a set of landing gear and wheel wells or a complete cockpit interior for their Fortezza shuttles?

I have taken the liberty of scanning the original 'Raketoplán Space Shuttle Atlantis' sheets, designed by card model master designer Pavel Bestr in the Czech Republic. The model can be found here, at the Betexa site, under "Technical models" and "space technology": http://www.betexa.cz/eng/btx-ramy.html

I have prepared some web files and I can send files to those who are interested in putting wheels on the shuttle or those who plan to cut out the cockpit and top windows for a 'look inside'.
    However, if you use these files and show the model in public, please give the designer Pavel Bestr proper credit for his excellent work.

Send me a PM with your mail address if you´re interested.
    All the best,
    Bengt :smile:
  4. Maurice

Maurice Member

Bengt

I suggest that you should withdraw that offer.
    If you cannot work out why, I can explain.

Maurice
  5. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

I'll try to post it along with some pics of the outcome later, I hope our internet connection speed gets better...

to sir rlwhitt...

please disregard my PM aout this... I answered it based on the print out of sheet # 6, which unfortunately, doesn't have any fixes at all, the main reason why I resulted for this solution...

to sir Bengt

Um... I have a favor sir... Could you upload that word document I e-mailed to you for this sir? Our ISP is still screwy... Thanks sir!!!
  6. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Hans,

I'm a bit confused, sorry. You say you have some fixes for some tile issues, but they don't do anything to fix the overly dark printing of page #6?

Rick

7. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Landing gear and Cockpit Interior for Fortezza Shuttles

Maurice,

My idea was not to spread this over the world and take credit for it myself.

I just wanted to assist a couple of modellers on this forum with parts that aren´t readily available, since the Raketoplán shuttle is sold out.
    I also stated clearly that if finished models are to be shown in public, credit should be given to the original designer of the model parts.

If I hear more complaints about this, I will of course withdraw my offer.

In the best interest of Cardmodels.net,
  8. Maurice

Maurice Member

Bengt

This site is worldwide.
    I didn't think you were seeking to take credit for the design of the parts.
    You do not hold copyright on those parts nor have you been authorised to duplicate and distribute them by the holder of the copyright.
    Suggesting that your action will have been validated if no one else complains is nonsense.

Maurice
  9. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Maurice,

I stand corrected.
    In the interest of the designers and the card modelling community, I have not and will not spread those files - thank you.

Best regards,
    Bengt :smile:
  10. Maurice

Maurice Member

Brengt

Still friends I hope. :)

Cheers
    Maurice
  11. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Sure thing, Maurice,

Good friends care for each other - so, we´re even closer friends now. I should have been thinking a bit more thorough before posting - I´ll use the scanner with more caution in future.
    My stupid mistake - thanks for speaking out. You are absolutely right, of course - I probably wouldn´t like it either if somebody copied and spread parts of my original model design over the Internet, even if the intentions were the best.

For those who are still interested in getting landing gear and cockpit interiors in their shuttle models, I can recommend writing an e-mail to the Betexa publishing house. At the time I ordered my model, I was lucky that they had just made a new re-print of the Raketoplán Space Shuttle Atlantis.
    There might still be copies left (although it says on the web page that it´s sold out) and it isn´t an expensive model at all (US $ 8,24 + shipping), considering what you get. This model recreates the entire STS-30 Atlantis mission from 1989, with the 'Magellan' Venus probe/spacecraft tucked away inside the cargo bay doors.
    Apart from this model, http://www.betexa.cz/eng/btx-ramy.html has a range of amazingly detailed models of cars, buildings and ships.
    It´s definately worth a visit and if you order from them, the shipping is relatively fast and well taken care of with sturdy card wrapping.
    They accept all the major credit cards and I can vouch for that it´s completely safe.

Good luck with all your shuttle models!

All the best,
  12. Hans Christian

Yes I have. I edited almost all of the Mascenter Shuttle TPS patterns, especially the overly-dark places (i.e. the pattern at sheet 6). Its in word document, and I sent a copy to sir Bengt, I can't upload it or send it to anyone yet, because currently, our internet connection sucks, big time...

you can ask him for the copy :-D
  13. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Bengt emailed the file, thanks a bunch to you both! The stuff looks great - it looks like I will have to do a whole new shuttle using these at some point! :grin:

Do you have suggestions for types of paper or other material for printing the add on parts for better realism?

Rick

14. Hans Christian

Oh yes!!! But I'm not sure what these kinds of textures of paper ae called at your place...

for the fireproof fabric (AFRSI), I used linen-textured paper

for the felt (FRSI), RCC & tiles (HRSI), I used smooth cardboard (not glossy BTW)

If you already started (or have finished your STS already), just continue it, then apply those as the second "skin" :-D
  15. Hans Christian

thanks sir Bengt for e-mailing him the file!!! :-D
  16. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Repainted Fortezza Tiles

Sure thing, Hans!

I hope it was OK with you. You solved a problem here - thanks for your help.

Best,
    Shuttle nerd Bengt :grin:
  17. Hans Christian

No it's perfectly ok sir!!! In fact you've saved me a LOT of trouble there... our internet connection still sucks...

I just remembered those times when I'm still doing these repaints... countless hours in MSPaint... hehe!!! :-D
  18. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Back to the printing problem. I've been through tons of paper and ink and have come up with a halfway OK print. As Hans said, his part prints dark on the bottom of the sheet 6 wing as well, so I was stuck trying to fix it some other way.

I tried opening sheet 7 and flipping it, then copying/pasting the tile parts to sheet 6. They look good on screen, but the tile lines print fuzzy (even working at 1200 dpi!) and even are a little off color wise.

I ended up checking the box in Adobe Reader, advanced options, print as image,and that at least brings the detail out a good bit. Still darker than the other side, but not nearly as bad as before. When you inspect these things in Adobe close up you can tell they are not drawn the same. Sheet 6's tiles have much narrower white lines separating them.
  19. Hans Christian

yup. I also noticed them when I magnified the sheet on the adobe reader, they are wider than the rest...