Forest Fires?

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by LoudMusic, Oct 22, 2006.

1. LoudMusic

LoudMusic Member

In hopes of modeling a narrow gauge logging line I'm working up all kinds of ideas before I even buy the lumber for my benchwork. One of the ideas I've had is a small forest fire, or the after effects there of. The only info I've found so far was at the Atlas forum. Oddly enough the discussion is from this month.

http://forum.atlasrr.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=32102

Just like the guy who started the thread, I wouldn't want it to be a live fire, just the after effects. I like the idea someone posted about having fire brakes along the edges.

Does anyone else have examples or suggestions?
  2. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

Get lots of flat black paint and a bunch of Woodland Scenics pine tree kits. Throw away the green foliage and plant the dead trees and spray liberally with flat black. You could add a few red lights here and there for hot spots. Kind of a simplistic answer to your comment.
    Actually, in the old days of railroad logging, you could add a burned trestle and a destroyed logging camp.
    Two books that I might suggest are Logging Railroads of the West and Railroads in the Woods. They both have photos of burn areas and also rail mounted fire fighting equipment.
  3. LoudMusic

LoudMusic Member

Real results:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks like perhaps it's not as black as we're probably all thinking. I would have thought the same, leafless trees coated in black paint. But it's more likely branchless cumbling trunks covered in ash gray with lots of debris on the ground.

I guess it depends on severity of the burn and if anything was done to withstand the flames, like a simultaneous rain or even a fire fighting squad. The picture with the man is a bit emotional.
  4. Dave-the-Train

Dave-the-Train Member

Then the new growth starts urning things green again...
    Don't forget that animal tracks and beaten pathways will show up in ash the same way as in snow...
    A moderate wind may blow ash into drifts and out of the fire zone.
    Live animals will be more visible but probably nervous.
    If you have buildings nearby you might have fire crew damping down and/or on standby.
    Every location has its specific fore season... don't know what they are.
    You might even have investigators if it's thought to have been arson...
    There's always history, detail and somewthing new happening... even if it's only the media...

Near roads and track you can have work gangs making damaged trees safe.
  5. LoudMusic

LoudMusic Member

Wow, good stuff. Snow drifts of ash is something I'd never really thought of. And I like the people milling around inspecting things like roads, the scorched area, and nearby buildings. And of course the media coming along to over dramatize the whole thing :)
  6. Clerk

Clerk Active Member

Along with the red lights, how about checking out the smoke makers used in steam engines.
  7. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

In the majority of "natural" fires, much of the underbrush is cleared out, but the larger tress actually remain relatively intact. Of course, these aren't the exciting fires that get all the waterbombers and media attention, so you might have a hard time finding pictures.

'Course, if you do decide to do one of the large scale fires, you'll need a large scale water bomber ;) How about the Martin Mars - the largest operational flying boat in the world:

http://www.martinmars.com/gallery.htm

Wingspan of 200 feet (as big as a 747) - water capacity - 7,200 gallons... very, very cool aircraft...

Andrew
  8. Dave-the-Train

Dave-the-Train Member

If that thing has water bombed I imagine quite a lot will be squashed and everything will be dripping and slushy. You might have a couple of fishermen fighting over a prize catch... That beast looks like it could collect a shark. Now that would make the news :)
  9. LoudMusic

LoudMusic Member

$@&%@ that thing is a beast!
  10. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Between the two of them, they deliver 7,200 gallons every 7 minutes - over 500,000 gallons (2 MILLION litres) in a 6 hour shift.

As far as getting squashed - 7,200 gallons of water weighs 60,000 lbs... Not all of it will land on you, but I'll bet it would still hurt...!

Takes 25 seconds to fill the tanks flying at 60 - 70 knots on the surface of whatever lake is big enough. I'll bet they catch a few things now and then! ;) :D

Andrew
  11. LoudMusic

LoudMusic Member

Well it's safe to say you'd need a change of cloths anyway.
  12. Collyn

Collyn Member

It may look cheasy but you could make somthing thike the halloween decorations with a fan blowing up some fire looking fabric if you want flames