for the traction fans

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
here are two early PRR electric locomotives.pic's are from a old magazine clipping so pic quality is not the best:(
the first is the FF-1 of 1917
as a side note the FF-1 was one of a kind ,too powerful clipping states.

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Hey Jim, that's a real, genuine American Crocodile! I've never seen or heard about these L-5 locos before. Truly amazing!

Obviously they were developed shortly after our Swiss crocdiles had great success on the Swiss Gotthard mountain line in 1921.
However, if you look at the driving wheel diameter, the PRR engines were built for speed. Jim reports a speed of 70 mph for the L-5, while the Swiss crocodiles were built for a top speed of only 40 mph - but they pulled like mad on the steep Gotthard ramp (2.8%). They developed about 2400 hp and after a rebuild in the 50's even 3650 hp.

Charlie is right - a kitbash should be possible. You 'only' need two Atlantics (4-4-2) for the wheels... :( :( :D

Ron

PS: What are these funny, tiny pantographs for? Were they really used for regular mainline running? :eek: :confused:

A remark to my pic: Look at the smaller wheels of this Swiss crocodile - compare with the size of the respective cabs! And note the strange layout of the driving rods! :)

Attachments

• be68-2.jpg
    be68-2.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 90

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
tiny pantographs

Railron, I hadn't seen them on PRR locos before, but the NYC had them. They were put on locos that normally used 3rd rail going into Grand central in New York. Over some of the longer turnouts, the 3rd rail might have a long gap and the loco could lose contact and stall at low speeds. They put some sort of rails on the tunnel ceiling and the small pantographs would pick up from that long enough to get through the gap.
I guess Pennsy had the same thing into Penn station.