For military modelers...

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by Papa Bear, Jun 11, 2006.

1. Papa Bear

Papa Bear Member

Went to Wal-Mart today and noticed that they have some 1:144 scale WW II tanks for $1.97 each. They have nice detailing and are close to N-scale.
  2. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

I've seen them, John, they look great. For my NG Armory on my layout, I've picked up 1:144 scale modern armor; Bradleys and Abramses that are sold thru the Air Force clothing exchange down here.:thumb:
  3. PnP Hobbies

PnP Hobbies Member

You have to love AAFES I inishd my Armory and military loasd. Thank you Alan Curtis for your cars...
  4. Austinio

Austinio New Member

What are some companies that make military models? I am considering adding a base next to the town maybe making one of those towns where the town is base and base is town. Also, does anyone know of any kits that can easily be made into military structures?
  5. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

You know...for those interested...it would be sort of neat to choose a layout based on a military base that had train service. Most of the "northern tier" states had regular coal shipments, sidings to park empty's, and other sidings delivering goods for the base. I don't think I've ever seen anyone model this. Think of it...you could have a string of coal cars delivered by UP, SF or SP parking it's consist of coalers next to the B52 alert pad. You could be the first in your club to weather coal cars and nuclear weapons! (Actually, those nukes were kept pretty clean...and so were the planes.)
  6. pennman

pennman Member

MIl bases

Well there are a few companies that make close structures, I do believe wathers makes a quanset hut type building.
    But If your into do modern any building will work.
    FT Campbell Ky has an extensive rail net work with there own engines, frieght yard and up to the 70's use to have passenger service. They just spent god knows how much putting in a new frieght yard a few years ago.
    The rails on base supplied everything from frieght,to fuel ,ammo, commodities and also deployments.
    Some of the other posts Ive been on are the same way. you can almost pick a time period and go from there. On Ft Campbell and Bragg there are building from WWII to present still being used.
    I do believe ROCO can get you squared away with Mil vehiceles
  7. Evan

Evan Member

8. umtrr-author

umtrr-author Member

I picked up a similar offering at KB Toys for $1.99 the other day. It's an M18. The only thing I can add is "it's a tank" as I am not even in the same room as an expert on this. I think it will look good as a display or flat car load; the 1:144 is "close enough" and I cheerfully invoke Rule #1* to use it.

*It's your railroad.
  9. inkaneer

inkaneer Member

I saw these too. The top portion apprears to be decent however, the wheels and tracks somewhat less so propably due to the method of casting and the need to eliminate deep undercuts. At 1:144 scale they are 10% oversized for Nscale. Why is that? If I were a toy manufacturer I and I could attract a larger segment of the market to my product wouldn't it make sense to produce a product in 1:160 rather than 1:144? The toy market probably could care less. But Nscalers would love it. Look at the Classic Miniatures line of trucks. Oh well my rant for the millenium.
  10. inkaneer

inkaneer Member

I saw these too. The top portion apprears to be decent however, the wheels and tracks somewhat less so propably due to the method of casting and the need to eliminate deep undercuts. At 1:144 scale they are 10% oversized for Nscale. Why is that? If I were a toy manufacturer and I could attract a larger segment of the market to my product wouldn't it make sense to produce a product in 1:160 rather than 1:144? The toy market probably could care less. But Nscalers would love it. Look at the Classic Miniatures line of trucks. Oh well my rant for the millenium.
  11. inkaneer

inkaneer Member

I saw these too. The top portion apprears to be decent however, the wheels and tracks somewhat less so propably due to the method of casting and the need to eliminate deep undercuts. At 1:144 scale they are 10% oversized for Nscale. Why is that? If I were a toy manufacturer and I could attract a larger segment of the market to my product wouldn't it make sense to produce a product in 1:160 rather than 1:144? The toy market probably could care less. But Nscalers would love it. Look at the Classic Miniatures line of trucks. Oh well my rant for the millenium.