For Interurben...

TinGoat

Ignorant know it all
Hi Chris,

I found this "Tracking Pantographs" on the internet.

I don't know how you would be able to model these, but they sure are cool...

They are called Tracking Pantographs and they are "half-pantographs" that swing side to side to follow the overhead. Sort of a cross between a trolley pole and a pantograph.

The prototype is motorized and electronically follows the overhead.

In modeling, it would work on single track by adding ears on either end of the pick-up shoe to follow the overhead. But then the ears would snag on frogs and other intersections.

If we put our heads together, we might be able to figure out a solution....

They sure would be cool.... :cool: :cool: :cool:

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
Hi Ron,,, I had a good look at the tracking pan! very intresting.

You could eliminate the need for overhead in a siding , but the pan would have to come down so through traffic can still use the wire.
With the pans you saw us using , we dont have to use frogs or cross overs in the overhead wire,, that`s only for trolly poles..

You could be making more problems than needed on your new layout Ron.;)
We space poles 10" to 1 ft apart. but a lot more is needed on the curves. That`s where it might be useful:D

TinGoat

Ignorant know it all
That's me, the trouble maker...

Hi Chris,

I'm a long way from stringing overhead...

I would really like to use Inclined Simple Catenary on the Modules since it looks so elegant. But plain overhead is easier...

I have to be able to accomodate both Trolley Poles and Pantographs on the modules, since you can never be sure what kind of equipment will be used at a meet... Like the Bachmann On30 Trolley.

There are frogs and crossovers that will accomodate both...

Like I said, I was just surfing when I found the Tracking Pantograph and I thought it was a cool idea...

Right now, I am bashing/scratching a freelance freight motor.

I started with an old HO Plymouth "Hustler" type switcher.

I've changed out the horn/hook couplers for Kadee's and will be changing the wheels to larger ones to raise it up a bit.

It will have a scratch-built O scale box cab and a platform on top to carry the HO pantograph.

This is totally freelance, although I have been looking at various box-cab freight motors for inspiration...