For enthusiasts who have no space

I haven't said much in posts but I've long admired Shamus's On30 modelling together with those others who scratch build just about everything. There's a charm about backwoods industries which use narrowgauge rails in their operations.

Well, here's a treat to get the braincells of those of us who think we don't have space for any sort of railroad. The following links will take you to a site which has about 24 'micro' layouts ranging in size from a circular biscuit tin in diameter to shelf layouts 9" x 4'.

There are also a lot of sketches of proposed 'micro' layouts and all-in-all is well worth spending time to feed your imaginations leading to you getting out of the chair and start building.

Inglenook layout 1’ x 6’ (for screw squirrel's benefit :eek: :D :-
http://carendt.com/scrapbook/page4/index.html

Index to the photos of 24 sets of micro layouts :-
http://carendt.com/scrapbook/linkindex/index.html

Most are so small I think I'll take up making dioramas based on some of the designs. (I'm in the doldrums about my existing N layout).

I sure hope you they inspire you.
Errol

interurban

Hello Errol,, how are you doing matey,, ??
Glad you posted the links, just the sort of modeling to inspire us:D I love "shelf" layouts.:thumb:

shamus

Registered Member
Hi Errol,
Thats a great collection of small dioramas, I simply love um all.

By the way, are you going to enter the diorama comp which starts in May.?

Cheers
Shamus

spitfire

Thanks for the great links Errol!!!! I love looking at pictures of layouts and dioramas and that second site has tons of them.

As for inspiration, have you thought about a small 2x4 NTRAK module?? (Hey, where's the smiley for evil grin?)

:D Val

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Thanks Errol, I plan to use one or two of the switching layouts into my M.A.T. 'cause they will be fun to switch local industries

My first thought when I saw those 'micro' layouts was of a G-gauge oval (scenicked) in Caboose Hobbies in Denver with a pair of gandydancers on a hand cart trundling round! Quite charming.

Tyson, I haven't done anytything on my N layout in the last four months. :cry:

Shamus, I'm going to make an effort to enter something in the May 'Diorama' contest. Big question ... what of? :) :D

Val, I already have a 2ft x 5ft 6inch N layout. It needs about one square foot of scenery to be made then.... detailing the whole layout! The prospect is deterring me from starting. :eek:

Robin, I built the original 'Timesaver' switching layout years ago, it has given me hours of fun. I'd recommend it to all.

In general, I always considered small is beautiful so I'll probably go for an HOn3 'Timesaver' slightly modified to take scenery.
Gosh, if only vanilla were the choice! :confused: :confused:

Good luck to those 'who have no space' :)
Errol