For all you rug burners

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Renovo PPR, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

RUG BURNERS it is CHRISTMAS TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is just a few weeks short of setting up the traditional O gauge Christmas train. My wife even extended a little when she suggested we set up a week earlier.

Mine is nothing special just two ovals around the Christmas Tree. Though the ovals have gotten a little larger over the years. I will have the newer addition added last year with the Polar Express. Of course the first train ever to circle the tree over 40 years ago will be there. I think nothing shows Christmas more than my Post War Lionel set.

I will have to make another addition this year expanding the layout with the new Hogwarts Express on Christmas day. We have added some of those winter ceramic buildings over the years.

This is my rug burner layout that goes up each year even if it is for a little over a month.
  2. Geno

Geno Member

Renovo,
    Get the pictures up! It's never too early for Christmas layouts!

Geno
  3. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

Geno where have you been and how is the layout? They are a coming after this weekend.
  4. Geno

Geno Member

Renovo,
    I just got back from my vacation in Oregon (built a 5 x 10 layout for my nieces-check it out on the link below). My layout is in a state of hibernation, as I've made the decision to move it down to my garage so I can expand it into a full around-the-wallls configuration and have it run into the backyard as well.

It's kind of funny- most guys would kill to have a 20 x 20 room for a train layout. But what good is it if you can't do whatever you want to your layout without spousal interference? At least with my layout in the garage I can build it as I want it to be. I 'm also going to raise it up to chest height (around 50") so I also park my '72 Firebird underneath.

What are your plans for the barn layout?

geno_rojas' slideshow on Flickr

Geno
  5. Frank53

Frank53 Member

Geno:

Is that a K-Line factory kit in the foreground of the first photo?
  6. dbaker48

dbaker48 Member

Geno - That is a really nice layout. Especially for the Polar Express. I not near as cute as your niece, but you are more than welcome to come down and work on my layout!
  7. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

That has been a long road for you Geno. I'm one of the lucky people where the wife tolerates my layout in the TV room.

However you could always move to PA and you can talk me into the studded third rail think and we could use the complete second floor of the old work shop. :)

Does you wife like snow? :mrgreen:

Seriously I hope you can get your layout together in the garage and start having some fun.

You did a fine job with your niece's layout.
  8. Geno

Geno Member

Guys,
    Thanks for the kind words on Leilani and Kalea's train layout- the girls call me just about every other day with a report of some new thing they did or discovered on their layout. For me that is why I did it.

Frank- the K-Line factory kit is a new Lionel reissue of K-Line tooling. Lionel improved the windows, made the doors a more reasonable size, and packed it in a see-through bag. I bought that at Quality Toys in Oregon City, OR for the astronomical price of $16.

Don- I'd love to see your layout some time. Have you ever gone to AGHR down in San Pedro? Let me know if you want to go (bring some trains to run too).

Renovo- my wife hates snow (not surprising I like it since I was born in NY). She especially hates it when I get back from Oregon (OR this, OR that, etc.)- it's going to be tough on her when I start working up there six months out of the year ;)

Right now I have Lionel and K-Line 027 track on my layout for temporary use- K-Line's low profile 042 switches and 072 curves work really well with my scale equipment. But I'm planning to bite the bullet, pack it all up, start laying down some Atlas 2-rail with the studrail down the middle, so I can stop talking about it and show you all how good it looks. I just need to finish redesigning the new layout so I can finalize the track plan.

Geno
  9. dbaker48

dbaker48 Member

Geno - I am member of AGHR, been going there for almost 2 years. After the first of the year I am going to be sitting up a Kids Club there. Modeling it after the one in San Diego. Typically, my son and I go down to the club on Wednesday nights. Not going to make it tonight though due to the holiday.
    (As a matter of fact, the Avatar picture was taken at the club. I also posted some pictures in the Coffee Pot thread yesterday from the club.)
  10. Geno

Geno Member

Don,
    I go on Saturdays when I can get down there- probably explains why we don't see each other. I've been a member for a little longer (about 4-5 years)- hopefully we can meet soon.

How big is your home layout?

Geno
  11. dbaker48

dbaker48 Member

Geno,
    My layout is approx. 17 x 14. We added a room on to the back of our house for trains last year. The room is 20 x 14. The layout is still in process. I have benchwork up, and track down. Currently working on the wiring. I can run trains on it with some temporary wiring. Slow process but fun.

What time of the Day do you go down to AGHR? This Saturday I'm need to go to a Elect. Swap Meet in Redondo Beach, then I could come by there. Frequently I end up working on Saturday, and then when I'm not try to work on the train room.
  12. Geno

Geno Member

Don,
    I think this Saturday I will be there after lunch, if I can get through the honey-dos in the morning. But I will be there- just need to decide what to run.

My layout is L-shaped, 20 x 20, but for some reason is not working for me. My turn around loops at either end are relatively large (over 7'), but I really want an around-the-walls design so I can make the curves even bigger (60" radius).

What kind of track are you using?

Geno
  13. dbaker48

dbaker48 Member

If I did it right, I should have a layout design below. This is my simple layout. The area to the right is a bar and bar stools. The door is lower right.

[​IMG]

I am using Gargraves track and Ross switches. Have the majority of track down, and working on resolving wiring issues before finalizing the track.
  14. Geno

Geno Member

Don,
    Looks like a nice operating layout- Gargraves is definitely reliable, like the Ross switches. I 've yet to get into MTH DCS, but with their scale-wheeled diesels coming out I'm sure I'll end up going that route soon.

Geno
  15. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

Well guys those plans look pretty complicated for a rug burning Christmas layout.:thumb: It is official the tree and layout will go up tomorrow. Now I have to decide how big and what plans.
  16. dbaker48

dbaker48 Member

Reno - I apologize, I didn't mean to hijack this thread, got carried away talking with Geno. I will be happy to go back and edit those images out, and reduce the comment. Really sorry, Don
  17. Geno

Geno Member

Don,
    I don't think Renovo is the kind of guy who minds if a couple of fellow O gaugers chat on his thread- I consider him a good guy. But I'll apologize as well :).

Geno
  18. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

Geno knows me well. Hey it is trains guys who cares where we go with it. Just so we have fun talking it doesn't matter.
  19. Dr. John

Dr. John Member

While not technically a rug-burner, this is last year's Christmas layout. I'll start on the 2007 version this week, which will be very similar.
    [​IMG]
  20. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

The tree is up and I have just placed the PE around the tree. This set did replace my PW set as the official Christmas Tree set. It is just a perfect fit.