Food for thought

NTaghon

Well I got to thinking (hate it when that happens), HO is a little too big for modern equipment in a samll-ish type space. N scale is just too small and annoying (to me). My question, is TT scale the perfect size for the modern era? I understand that your only gaining about a 25% advantage over HO but that 25% would be enough to make long equipment practical on a not so big layout. Now I'm not talking about an N scale 2x4 but rather the old standby, 4x8 would yield some rather nice results.

I know TT didn't gain much popularity, but, was it just introduced at the wrong time? Could TT be the new HO if given the chance?

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
I think you may have a point. Were TT as available as HO I'd have been attracted to it.
Ralph

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
you have a good veiw of it,TT would be a nice compromise from tiny N and HO where you cant run prototypical trains.--josh

rogerw

Thanks josh. I remember hearing about but I guess I never paid much attention. It sounds like it would have been a nice alterative betwean HO and N

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
the only bad thing i can see about it is,the amount of variety.its pretty much not there.there are a few people that sell locos,track,etc but its through the roof! so the only real cost effective way to do it is to handlay track,scratch build ALL structures and know where to find good locos or be an EXTREMELY good scratch builder to build a loco by hand.so ill stick to HO :D --josh

Gary S.

But if there were a nice selection of items in TT, it sounds like it may be the perfect compromise. Interesting... but since I already have $$$$$ in HO items and track, I will be an HO guy for a long time to come.

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
if there wer alot of TT items,EVERYBODY would be in to it! its perfect,it has the bigger size like HO so eyes wont affect it.its small enough to run prototypical trains like N.and its a nice round number for easy "in the feild" calculations :D .--josh

Triplex

I've always wondered why TT didn't make a resurgence. Since HO and N are the most popular scales, I suspect many people would want something in between.

A scale about 3/4 the size of another scale is enough smaller to make a big difference, as it increases your effective area by a larger factor.

As I'm typing this, a toy train designed for plastic track happens to be sitting on my desk. It's about 1/125 scale and looks like a nice, convenient size.