FolkArt paint question ...

IAIS 604

... can FolkArt acrylic paint be used on plastic ???

I have some layout buildings that need paint, and we already have some in the house, but I can't find any info on workable surfaces !!!

Thanks!

MCL_RDG

Uhmmm, is it "Folk Art" acrylic paint or..

... acrylic paint?!!!
Just what the heck is FolkArt paint? A brand name- does the label say only use on "folk art"?

I used a screwdriver as a pry bar once (or 500 times). Hey, I even put ketchup on a hotdog a couple of times when I was in a weird state (much younger then, of course).

I gotta get out more:eek:

I think you try what ever you have in your hands at the time you try to accomplish whatever it is you need to do and then- here on the Gauge- you can share you success with finding out what didn't work so good. If it smokes or bursts into flames- videos would be appreciated.

Regards,

Mark :p

steamhead

Hi...Yes, acrylics can be used on plastics. I gave the parts a light spray of Dullcote to give the paint something to "bite" onto (as per TomPM's suggestion). Then I sprayed the acrylics with no problem. Just remember that a couple of hands is better than one heavy one. After the paint was thoroughly dry (overnight, at least) I weathered and assembled the structure, and finally gave it a last coat of Dullcote to seal everything in. What I like about acrylics is there is a whole spectrum of colors to choose from, and you can mix anything you can imagine, at a fraction of the cost of "normal" paints.

N

nachoman

I think I may be able to help -

first off, folk art are acrylic paints. Acrylic paints will not react or damage plastic. So, if you try using folk art paints, you won't be ruining the plastic, but you may have to strip the paint of and redo if the finish is not what you desire.

I have used ceramcoat and folk art paints on models. I find them thicker than model paints and tend to cover fine details, but if you thin them with much water, they lose their covering and adhesive properties. I also find them to be less durable, and rub off of plastic with excessive handling. I think the density of pigment in craft paints is lower, and the size of pigment particles is larger. That is why they cover well when full strength but dry thick.

My advice - craft paints are fine for structures, scenery, and people. But I would not recommend them for rolling stock. I am sure there are others who would disagree. But I generally don't like to use acrylic paints for rolling stock because I find they do not spray well in a dry climate.

Kevin

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
I don't use the craft paints to paint rolling stock* but I do use it with the dry-brush technique for weathering. There are lots of "dirt" colours, plus as noted above you can mix whatever you need for much less than "proper" model paint.

* I did use the silver craft paint as a stand-in for reflective aluminum paint on a reefer. To make sure it stuck, I washed the reefer, dullcoted it, and then dry-brushed the colour on. This also had the advantage of not covering detail with a single, thick a coat of paint.

Andrew

IAIS 604

Thanks for the info, Gus, Kevin and Andrew !

Just what I needed to know !!

I'll dullcoat the structure and give it a try - and let Mark know if there are any 4th of July fireworks !!!