Fokker EIII from modele-kartonowe.com

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Ron, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Ron

Ron Member

As I was saying in the Internet Finds forum, This 1:33 Fokker EIII
    is available for free here http://www.modele-kartonowe.com
    Lech has given us 3 models that equal or rival any of the other commercial kits available today. I have a fondness for the EIII that started with one of my first paper models, Prudenziati's 1/72 Eindecker.
    This one goes far beyond my first attempts. With a full cockpit, complete
    engine, layered prop and some added rigging, this one will stand nicely
    beside any Great War aircraft.

The kit consists of 2 pages of diagrams and 3 pages of parts. So far
    they've printed out fine on letter size sheets.
    The first thing I noticed was the extensive framework/supports in both the fuselage and the wings. I used the artist's mounting board thats been kicking around here for ever and a day. Having or making a board that is just under a mm in thickness would be ideal. The mounting board is just over a millimetre so a little bit of adjustment is needed.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Well, the framing is done for now. On to the metal, linen and grease :)

Ron
  2. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Hi Ron,

Look great as usual,

Model Kartonowe is a new face designer or they want to promote thier kit to sell commercial?
  3. Maurice

Maurice Member

Many thanks Ron.
    Particularly looking forward to hearing how you go with the wingspar.

Maurice
  4. Gil

Gil Active Member

Ron,

Cut out fuselage formers and got about as far as your picture in construction. Fit was good except cockpit side panels #8,10 were a little short. One thing that's not obvious is the interlocking construction of the nose section..., nice approach to minimize jigging and clamping.

Best regards, Gil
  5. Ron

Ron Member

Hi Gil

That picture is a screw up without me even knowing it :) As it turns out, the top panel of the fuselage had to be set forward of the point in the picture. It's supposed to match up exactly to the end of the last fuselage former. This kit also leaves the former material on the sides of the cockpit exposed :( Either that or I haven't found the pieces to cover it.

Have you cut out the side panels yet? I did for the sake of trying it out and found that if it's lined up exactly with the panel lines from the top panel, it doesnt work. Can you let me know if you figure it out? I am really hoping that it's my mess up and not the kit

Ron
  6. Gil

Gil Active Member

Hi Ron,

The panel lines are in the wrong postion by about 1 mm. I suggest butting the aft portion on former #8 to make it work for now (fold the ends of former #8 a little to make up a little of the misfit). Just color it with pencil and hope the elevator creates enough interference to hide the prototype...., Lech needs to know.

Best regards, Gil

P.S. I got the fuselage top panel on correctly as I first glued former #8 to it before attaching it. The cockpit side panels are numbered 8* and 10* and are about 0.5 mm too short so cut them a little long on the backside which will be hidden behind the seat and won't show too badly (I greyed it in with colored pencil).

P.S.2 It seems that the sides and bottom match. The bottom is longer than it needs to be but is easily trimmed and positioned to match the side panels. Unfortunately the top has already been permanently attached...., I guess this means a restart.
  7. Gil

Gil Active Member

Hi Ron,

Finally opened the EIII file in Illustrator and found that it's unlocked. Shortened the bottom by .0625" and added .0625" to 8* and 10* cockpit side panels. I was able to remove the old top with minimal damage to the underlying structure. Applied the new top and the bottom before calling it quits for the evening. Sides, seat , front panel and landing gear tomorrow.

Best regards, Gil
  8. Sticky Fingers

Sticky Fingers Member

I'm having trouble printing any of the models on his free page. All I wind up withis the top left corner :? :? :? :?
  9. Gil

Gil Active Member

Hi Ron,

One other point is that part 1*, the center longitudinal former, is approximately 0.0625" to long (later found that this was not the case). I decided to start all over as there are just too many misfits to be comfortable with.

Caught up last nght to where the first attempt ended. I'll send some pictures later on today.

Mark,

Try downloading the latest version of Adobe Reader it fixes many of the outstanding problems on release 6.0.

Best regards, Gil
  10. Gil

Gil Active Member

Hi Ron,

Finally caught the top missing panel line aft of the insignia..., oh well too late now. Time to dust off the artistic license and fake it with colored pencils. Side panels and nose panels are next.

Best regards, Gil
    [​IMG]
  11. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Naaaa, Is Gil's fokker is same with Ron's Fokker? I see Ron is light green in fuselage but Gil's is yellow :wink: just asking
  12. Gil

Gil Active Member

Nobi,

Same Fokker different camera lighting conditions plus my printer is a little on the yellow side. Actual color is tan-brown.

Best regards, Gil
  13. Gil

Gil Active Member

Nobi,

Checked the color out. Here's the result:

C= 10.98%
    M= 13.33%
    Y= 35.69%
    K= 0.78%

This indicates that the color is going to be rather yellow in color matching the Squadron/Signal Publication Number 156 on the Fokker Eindecker on which this model is based (flown by the Austrian-Hungarian Navy in 1917).

So the color in the picture is about right. Ron has to get his gamut fixed.

Best regards, Gil
  14. Ron

Ron Member

My gamut? Your what's itchy? :p

Gil, as usual my ignorance kicks me in the posterior...what's gamut and how does one fix it? I wondered what was up with my picture taking. If I use the macro mode, the clarity is great but the image is terribly reliant on the available lighting. I need to buy a book on this particular cam (Nikon Coolpix 4500). The flash drives me nuts.. full out manual mode confirms how illiterate I am with a camera. Anyone?
  15. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Ron,

go here http://www.praxisoft.com/pages/products.wiziwyg.html and d/l the freebie calibration program. Works a treat. At the least you can get your monitor adjusted, but you need a calibrated test card to do the job properly, including your scanner, printer etc. And here in the UK, a Kodak test card is £79.00

If one was so inclined, one could get a bit, um, anal, about this......

Tim
  16. Gil

Gil Active Member

Ron,

Not to worry..., gamut is a technical term that loosely means the range of colors that a device is able to show as detected by the average human eye (which is 100%). Calibration can be rather anal as allayed by Tim..., I too have a coolpix 4300 which is quite similar to the 4500 regarding usage. I use it in the Scene Mode in normal sunlight as this allows me to take shots in the close-up without need to correct for lighting conditions. You can correct for lighting conditions in Setup Mode but it only applies to Automatic Mode which is useless in Scene Mode so go wonder. A good spot light works wonders for artificial lighting conditons and two spots are even better for removing unwanted shadows. I nominate Raimond for the new job of moderating Paper Model Photography. He will probably refuse but that's his problem...., he's really good at shooting models and is therefore elected. Pretty democratic huh!

Best regards, Gil
  17. Ron

Ron Member

Gil, were your cockpit side pieces too high on one end? I'm re-building it again with 1mm exact former material which seems to have fixed a few issues. How are you coming along with the E.III?

I compared my photo to the actual printout...could it be that my printer is out of whack too? Or is this a by product of using Photoshop which I'm assuming is printing what it's seeing? Thanks for the gamut explanations guys. It's nice to know these things and better yet to try and fix them

Ron
  18. Gil

Gil Active Member

Ron, the sides as supplied were too short so I lengthened them by 1 mm. They were a little too long and had to be hand sanded to fit between the formers. And yes, they were also too high and had to be sanded down to fit.

I found several months ago a supply of 0.75mm board that had footprints on them and was able to get a substantial discount from the store. I am using it on this model and it's working out quite well. All layers are white and acid free sanding quite well using fine and extra fine nail sanding sticks.

Your printer could be going color blind (my term for losing color balance). This has got to be a topic for this site!

I plan to do some more work this evening on the EIII (sides, seat, pane and begin the nose metal work). I've been thinking about using silvered wrapping paper for the metal work. It's low in cost and looks like aluminum in color and texture. A quick bond with 3M to the card stock should be all that's necessary before cutout. Another avenue is to form it out of real .005 " aluminum foil but that would take way too long to tutorialize so I'll stick with the silvered wrapping paper.

Best regards, Gil
  19. Gil

Gil Active Member

Hi All,

Finally got the sides on...., Lech needs to adjust the offset from the forward cowled area and provide a step down to the cockpit sides. Had to sand off the upper portion aft of the cockpit on both sides. A piece to simulate the leather padded cockpit rim in the front of the cockpit is supplied but the padding running down the sides is missing (I'll dummy these up out of some light card stock). The windshield is another oversight that is shown on the 3 View but is not amongst the parts supplied (another dummy up). Seat, stick and panel were also installed...., interstingly enough the place where the panel is on the model was actually the door to the recovered machine gun shell casings on the original but looks good just the same (original didn't really have a panel as we know it). Fiddled the cowl pieces together and sanded. These will be filled with spackel paste, let dry, sanded, sealed and hopefully painted to match the printed aluminium fore part of the fuselage. Lech also needs to provide for a fuel tank cap on the fuselage just behind the cockpit. He shows this on the three view but doesn't provide a part. I'll use a punchout from a hole punch to do the honors. Undercarriage, machine gun and engine should more than fill tomorrows build time. Photos tomorrow.

Best regards, Gil
  20. rkelterer

rkelterer Member

hi gil,

thanks for the flowers :roll: let ron and rick think about your proposal.

beside all the color and technical things the size of the pictures (when published in the www) is very important. the less the better on at least (640*480 pixels). my intention is a sharp picture, which shows all the details i want to be seen :p on an uniform background (will pack better).
    the absolute reproduction of the color is not very important for me, because it depends on factors which are sometimes unpredictable (paper, printer, printing mode, calibrated or not ....) the relative brightness and the impression of color should match.

cheers raimund