Fokker D-VII... 1/33

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by eatcrow2, Apr 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

That looks great Peter, good ideas for detailing!
  2. DrBill

DrBill Member

Peter -- That cockpit is beautiful, and I marvel at the amount of detail you were able to add. One thing that struck me as I looked through your photos was the printed tensioning cables (right name?) that brace the cockpit framing. It would be neat if one could substitute nylon or fly-tying thread for the wires and some glue blobs for turnbuckles. Can you think of any way to do this short of scanning the cockpit sides and editing out the printed cables? Not to detract from what you have accomplished -- I'm just thinking ahead to my own build, where I expect to steal shamelessly from your experience and would love to have something to call my own....:wink:
  3. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

super detailing - keep up the great work!
    Chris
  4. eatcrow2

eatcrow2 Member

Dr. Bill,
    I noticed this myself, and tried to make a couple of things work. The problem was that as you looked down into the cockpit you could see the printed version behind anything I tried.. Scanning and editing out the wires would be the way to go. Looking forward to see how you manage this..;-)
  5. eatcrow2

eatcrow2 Member

completed motor

Have completed the motor. Not that difficult or complex, and should look good considering what your going to be able to see. Will add the exhaust later.

Working on this plane at the moment, because I'm not able yet to figure out how the landing gear is assembled on the Junkers.. Figure it might come to me if I leave it alone..;-)

[​IMG]
  6. eatcrow2

eatcrow2 Member

Skinning the fuselage..

Started skinning the fuselage. Cut out the sides and top decking parts. I gave the frames a diluted coating of white glue, and when that was dry I sanded smooth any rough edges or imperfections. Took my time, and the fit of the parts was perfect. After I had buttom up the cockpit the other day, I noticed that I have the control column in the wrong position.. Should be able to correct it later. Nice seeing some color on this.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. piotter

piotter New Member

Appetizing :)
    Is this your first biplane made of cardboard ?
  8. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

It better not be! <scowl> heh heh, doing a great job in any case and superb if its his first! :)
    Chris
  9. eatcrow2

eatcrow2 Member

Thanks for the comments..

It will be the first one if completed...;-) Have started others, but they are in different stages waiting for a flash of inspiration on my part.. The way this beauty is fitting together, if I can't complete this, then I'll never complete one..

Cheers..
  10. eatcrow2

eatcrow2 Member

tail & radiator

Built the tail assembly, and did a test fit. Nice and snug, with no gaps. Will glue later after adding the bottom wing. Also added the fuslage side panels, and access doors. Enhanced the rivet detail with tiny drops of white glue, and then a little weathering with pastel chalks. Added the radiator. Another part that fit with no problems...

parts for tail..
    [​IMG]
    test fit...
    [​IMG]
    side panels & radiator...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  11. Ben Gal

Ben Gal Member

Beautiful work!
  12. alaimo@jcu.edu

alaimo@jcu.edu I need a Pin up girl. . .

Fantastic eatcrow...WOW!
    I have a question for you, I am gearing up to phto my projects as you all seem to do here, and I noticed that for scale in the photos, that you all seem to have some version of a cube with cardmodler.net on it. Is this available for download somewhere? Should I just make my own, using the logo? If I do make my own, I am in the USA, I would use inches, but I do build in metric at times, is there a standard for this site? Do you all prefer centimeter squares or inches? Hope this isn't all too dumb of a quation to ask. . .(Hopefully This weekend I will start to take and post to pics of my current build, the aircraftwerks p40 and maybe Girmir's P61.)
  13. charliec

charliec Active Member

14. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Looks fantastic! Looking forward to the wings and rigging part!
  15. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Looking great there bud! For the cubes they are 5 cm square. Make sure you print with no scaling or they tend to print out 2 mm off in size. There are lots of options in there. If you want something specific you like, just let me know - I take requests (make the request in the my cubes thread by me)
    Chris
  16. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Very clean and precise work, Peter! A visual treat for the eyes!
    A very enjoyable thread to follow, as usual!

Russell
  17. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

This is really looking great! Very clean, very nice to look at!
  18. eatcrow2

eatcrow2 Member

left wing assembly

Appreciate all the comments.. Have assemble the bottom left wing, and test fitted to the fuselage. Again no problem with any fitting of the parts, and as seen with the test fit it appears to snug up nice and tight to the fuselage..

wing parts...
    [​IMG]
    assembled..
    [​IMG]
    test fit...
    [​IMG]
  19. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

You are right, excellant fit, good job on her!
  20. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Quite an excellent build, Peter...sure makes it look easy, the way everything is fitting together so nicely. I am very much enjoying all the wonderful photographs, you are doing such a superb job both on the build and keeping us updated on your build thread...Thank you!

Beautiful work, my friend!

Cheers!
    Jim
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.