Fokker D V11

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by oompiet, Aug 25, 2007.

1. oompiet

oompiet New Member

Hi there,
    Here are some pics. of my in progress build of a Fokker D V11 from the John Dell collection at Fiddlersgreen. I have posed the flaps ,airelons and rudder for a more candid look. Will post when it is complete.
    Thank you rowiac. that seems to have worked a treat. (ask the experts I always say). now to finish this one and get on with the next.
    Ray.

Attached Files:

2. cbg

cbg Member

Ray,

Nice job thus far. I also have this freebie from FG in my "to do" pile. It appears it should build as nicely as your photos indicate.

Do you plan on building the entire Dell D-VII collection at some point? You'd have quite the flying circus. . .

cbg
  3. rockpaperscissor

rockpaperscissor Member

Looking good. Nice neat build set off by the posed control surfaces and FG's beautiful lozenge camouflage.
    Regards,
    Don
  4. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Nice job, Ray! That looks great!
    I love those lozenge patterns on the old planes! For some odd reason, it just seems to look like it belongs on a bi-plane. It just fits and it's visually appealing!

When you feel like you are ready to build some planes from this era that have a little more detail, such as cockpit details and stuff, pay a visit to our good friend, DeWayne Barnett.

cardmodel

He has some great models with plenty of detail and they don't break the bank!

Love your plane! Very nice work!

Russell
  5. oompiet

oompiet New Member

Thanks for the input. The posed control sufaces are from my days as a,(dare i say it,)( plastic modeler) Much easier to do in card i can asure you.
    When this one is done will start a Fokker E.111 from Modele Kartonowe. Has anyone done this airplane?
    Ray.
  6. rockpaperscissor

rockpaperscissor Member

Do a search for Eindecker in this forum Ray. You will find a number of instructive threads re the building of this model.
    Regards,
    Don
  7. Alcides

Alcides Member

Very nice !!! :thumb: A good touch the movable surfaces.

Russell any news about DeWayne?
  8. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I haven't heard anything from him in a while.
    Last I heard he was still recuperating but doing better.
    I'll send him a note and check up on him.

Russell
  9. sakrison

sakrison Member

I ordered a couple of models from him this week and got them about 8 hours later with a note that said, "I'm still working on about half my cylinders."

DeWayne, If you're listening, here's to a quick recovery.
    --David
  10. sakrison

sakrison Member

Ray,
    Nice work. Do you plan to add rigging--bracing and control wires? When I built my first WW1 plane (Udet's SSW III, from DeWaye), I was a bit intimidated by the idea of rigging it. But I discovered that rigging a paper model is very easy and adds a lot of realism for little effort.
    --David
  11. oompiet

oompiet New Member

Yes sakrison I will be rigging the Fokker. This will be the next item on the build list. Not sure what to use though. Used wire on the undercarriage bracing wires, guess I will do the same with the control wires etc.
    We will see,
    Ray.
  12. sakrison

sakrison Member

I've had good results with 2# monofilament (fishing line) and fine sewing thread. I coat the thread with beeswax (like the ship builders) before I use it. That makes it stiffer and cuts down on "fuzz."
    --David
  13. oompiet

oompiet New Member

Will give these a try David, but I like wire as i can measure the length I need -snip to length, and crazy glue into position. I find the monofilament works well on exterior rigging as in the Fokker E111. etc.
    Has anyone here built the Avia B534? I started cutting on the beast this evening. Not much in the way of assembly instructions,LOL.
    Ray.
  14. sakrison

sakrison Member

It's that "snip to length" that always seems to bite me.:rolleyes:
    I have a partially completed B534. Nice kit of an interesting aircraft--with a few minor fit issues. But you're right; the instructions are sparse at best. I got mine as a download, with added detail for the cockpit and lots of options for markings.
    No worries,
    --David
  15. oompiet

oompiet New Member

David,
    I would like to think that my mentioning the 534 has got you going on yours again.Cut all the frames and formers for the cockpit tonight.(Damn there are some small bits and pieces in there and my old eyes are not what they used to be ).Will post some pics as i go.My problem is time,as we run a Bed and Breakfast, so I don't get much modeling time in the evenings.Show us some pics of your 534.Mine is also a download.
    Ray.
  16. oompiet

oompiet New Member

The Fokker D V11 met an untimely end last night when the 18" planer blade I use as a straightedge, fell onto it, and squashed it flat. Oh well-onward and upward.The cockpit for the Avia 534 is almost complete and will most likely start on the fuselage this evening.
    Ray.
  17. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Sorry to hear that - she was looking good.
  18. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

DOH! Usually its the pets or the kids, not the power tools ;)
    Chris