foam vs balsa?

Jan 12, 2006
Southern CA
Yes, the blue and pink extruded polystyrene foams are pretty strong - the way their made has a self-skinning effect, which creates a structure akin to a honeycomb panel; don't try that last photo with the expanded polystyrene bead stuff - unless it's a foot thick!

PrairieTrains

May 25, 2008
Grand Prairie, TX USA
www.KE5IQM.com
I found my 2" foam (PINK - the strongest) at a commercial insulation supply company. It was worth the search. The 1" stuff (PINK) from HD is OK but I only use it for buildups/scenery. Its easier to get home for one thing! You'll love the 2" foam. With my supported base 1x3's I am able to crawl around on top of it! Good luck, Pat

riverotter

Midwest Alliance Rail Sys
Jun 9, 2005
Near Kansas City, MO
I've recently decided to rip out about 85' of fixed, shelf-style benchwork and replace it with hollow core door "modules" to give me more flexibility -- a la "dominoes". A painful and costly decision, but ultimately worth it to me in terms of flexibility.

chooch.42

Jan 23, 2007
Gibsonia, Pa.
Hi,zener. Maybe the supply difficulty (as others have reported) is your location. Passed the pink 2" in 4'x8' at Lowes here(Pittsburgh,Pa area) Friday. Maybe try their website...your branch may be able to get it. Best of luck with your project...we're all here to help, if needed. Bob C.:wave: