foam+plywood+elevation

NCMRailroad

Jul 29, 2006
Hi folks,
Well, I think I came up with a solution to my problem. I went to visit a fella who has a railroad that takes up 90% of his basement. I described to him what my situation was and he explained how he constructed his road bed.
It all seems very simple however I have one question now that never came to mind earlier.
Because I have an over/under section located on my layout which takes a bridge of any kind to allow the track to pass over the other I need to know what to do about the elevation at that hight and at that perticular section. To get somewhat of an idea of my track I should explain that where it crosses over one another is like the mid section of a figure of 8. I really don't want much for elevation as my layout really doesn't allow it because of its length. (16 feet aprox.)
Any suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated and thanks in advance.
NCMRailroad.:thumb:

rfmicro

Sep 24, 2006
Bridge Incline

NCMRailroad said:
Hi folks,
Well, I think I came up with a solution to my problem. I went to visit a fella who has a railroad that takes up 90% of his basement. I described to him what my situation was and he explained how he constructed his road bed.
It all seems very simple however I have one question now that never came to mind earlier.
Because I have an over/under section located on my layout which takes a bridge of any kind to allow the track to pass over the other I need to know what to do about the elevation at that hight and at that perticular section. To get somewhat of an idea of my track I should explain that where it crosses over one another is like the mid section of a figure of 8. I really don't want much for elevation as my layout really doesn't allow it because of its length. (16 feet aprox.)
Any suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated and thanks in advance.
NCMRailroad.:thumb:

A 4% incline is about the maximum you should use on any layout. That equates to about a 4-inch rise per 8-feet of trackbed. You certainly have the room to accomodate the rise. Woodland scenics makes an incline lit that you could use. Place the bridge or structure in the middle of the rise and continue with the incline.

Trent