Foam or Wood Platform

L

LuckyFind

We had a wood platform that we made when I was young to run our trains on. I recently worked for a Train Company, (accounts receivable, so didn't learn much about the hobby), and the lady in research showed me that the layouts they did were in foam. My problem with this is that I don't have my layout up year round. When we had the wood platform we had it in sections and could store it. The foam Imagine as an alternative would have to stay in one piece. Any suggestions. I am doing a whole new layout in my new house this fall, and would love some feedback.

The moderator today said there were no stupid questions. So please, no wisecracks. -LF

N

nachoman

if it is going to be in sections that disassemble, it will need at least a wooden frame so that the sections can be secured together. How big of a layout are you thinking of?

kevin

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Lucky,

Link does not work for me, and I have heard reports of the Life-like site being off-line now the Walthers take-over is a done deal. Any other news?

Andrew

L

LuckyFind

;) http://www.tommydweb.com/8layout.jpgI downloaded the picture and put it up on my server at the above link. The Life-Like site is working, but the store is not. Therefore any detail pictures that you click on will come up as dead links. The PDF link I sent you should have worked, but no worries....where I suck with train knowledge, my knowledge of computers and websites is much more profound...LOL

Walthers has said that they should have everything working by October.

Pooh Bah
For that layout, you could probably get the foam in one piece. I think it would need a little bit of bracing, probably some strips of foam underneath, since the foam will bend. You could make a table out of thin foam glued at right angles like plywood.
The grade is a little steep. However, I would suggest you look at Woodland Scenics grades instead of the bridge piers they show.

Stu McGee

Hey, I have been thinking, I know its dangerous. But using that steel stud work idea from MR with a thin 1/4 wood top and foam over top sounds like a solid and light weight way to go. I am going to give it a try with both the railroad and my wife's "Christmas in the City- that studio 56 stuff. It is taking over our dining room but is very seasonal so it has to go up and come down easily.