foam or homeasote

pcentral

Jul 17, 2002
Central California
Visit site
Hi Rich,
I used this for a 4'x8' O gauge layout I built. I used the 2" thick stuff for the table top instead off plywood. A freind of mine has a scenery business and uses this to contruct complete dioramas. It is great stuff to work with, real easy and lightweight. It works good for sound deadening. You will need to glue your track down to mount it though. I would recommend using pins to hold it while the glue sets up, then pull out the pins. If you put nails through the foam to the wood below this will carry the sound to the frame below and stop the sound deadening qualities of the foam. I say buy a sheet of foam and try it out. If you don't like it for roadbed you can always use it for scenery.

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi Rich, Took a look at the site and it seems that the board would have possibilities. I'm sorta from the "old school" though and have used Homasote since the "year one":D

Like PCentral said the track would have to be glued down, but beyond that it seems that it would work well on top of a plywood sub-roadbed. If I were building another layout I would certainly give it a try:)

rich maiorano

Apr 27, 2002
levittown pa
it does look like it be easeir to use and can use any left over for my scenery with the 2 inch stuff and I have a couple of local suppilers near by too:D :D :D :D

msh

Jul 2, 2002
Charlotte, NC
www.moctezuma-us.com
Next layout it will be foam. The 2" stuff is harder to get, so I'll probably go benchwork, 1/8" masonite and 1" foam sheet on top of that, but for having a carveable surface, along with the sound deadening factor, I like foam.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Any thots on the effects of temperature swings in a midwest garage when using this stuff (glued track) vs. nailing track to wood? Maybe more forgiving if the glue is good to low temps. Anyone had troubles with adhesives in other areas when it gets cold?

rich maiorano

Apr 27, 2002
levittown pa
jon dont know but the stuff for your basement walls and I think floors too so you would think it would hold up to any temp swings and msh theirs a dealer finder on that site so you can find one close to home:D :D :D rich

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Originally posted by msh
Next layout it will be foam. The 2" stuff is harder to get, so I'll probably go benchwork, 1/8" masonite and 1" foam sheet on top of that, but for having a carveable surface, along with the sound deadening factor, I like foam.

On 16" centers 1/8" Masonite will sag when applied horizontally. Plus its difficult to glue any thing to tempered (slick) Masonite. Better go with something more rigid....3/8" or prefferably 1/2" plywood.

TR-Flyer

Nov 24, 2001
SC
Visit site
I recently watch a video where they were using a foam overlay on plywood for the standard benchwork. Then, for the mainlines with a raised bed, they used foam "sill sealer". It's used, as the name implies, to seal the gap between a platform framed wood house floor, and the wall sills sitting on top of it. It's about a 1/4-inch thick extruded foam, flexible, cheap, and readily available. The guys were gluing the foam down to the benchwork foam and then gluing the track down to the sill sealer foam. They used liquid nails for theirs, i'd probably used something a little more modifiable.

Regards,
Ted