Foam board - what is it?

Evan

Feb 9, 2004
Cape Town, South Africa
Visit site
Hi,

I'm looking for Foam Board. But, I don't know what it's called in South Africa. Does anyone have another name for it? I phoned the local hobby shops, and they don't use it at all - they use cookie-cutter method for track, and polystrene pieces for scenery. Help!! :)

Thanks

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
What you are looking for is extruded polystyrene. It is sold as insulation material, and comes in pink and blue varieties. The "polystyrene pieces for scenery" you mention are probably what you are looking for.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Evan:
South Africa may not get cold enough for houses to be insulated (I really need to check my world map). The hobby shop may have Woodland Scenics pieces which work but are more expensive than construction grade. See what the lumber yard or hardware store has.

Evan

Feb 9, 2004
Cape Town, South Africa
Visit site
Found it!!!

Hi,

Found it. I managed to, after about 30 phone calls, track down a company that makes insolation material to keep heat out during summer - sometimes we have days around 40 degrees C. They have sheets of the stuff, going to see it on Monday to make sure it's the right stuff. Thanks for the help, everyone.

Foam track

Go to your motor car battery distributor. In Australia their batts' come in pallots and have poly' (about 3ft by 4 ft and 1.5'' thick) these pieces of poly'make an ideal train bed and they cost nothing our fellows here is glad to have somebody collect then.
Tom.S :sleeping: and I am now going to bed.