FlyModel K-141 Kursk

NYC Irish

Apr 26, 2004
Cork Ireland
Props Installed

Installed the props. really like the look of them but te blades seem huge...I know the acoustic meaning of huge blades turning slow but..are they too big?

An onto the 1st missile tube....realy really really annoying...but I got through it..looks good but Im thinking I might not do the whole bay as I know the doors will not loog good when I try and close them and...I dunno I feel the bay completely open will reall spoil the overall shape....

Ok to the pics

Attachments

• b.jpg
    b.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 17
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 14
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 17

Bengt F

Nov 26, 2005
Fly Model K-141 "Kursk"

John John,

They look alright to me - the only picture of the sub with the props that I could find is this: http://members.fortunecity.com/omegatimes/kursk_submarine_graphic.gif

Re. the torpedo bays:
I agree - it would look better with the bay doors closed, but with the very attractive option of being able to open them and show their content.
If the hull material next to the doors is insufficient, would it be possible to make narrow strips to fill the gaps? Perhaps you could put the top of the model upside down onto your scanner glass (as flat as possible) and then scan just a part that is enough for the gaps? Or if you have 'left-overs' among the model sheets with the proper grey color, perhaps you could make something there . . ?

I´m sure you´ll think of something.The model looks simply outstanding. What an inspiration this thread is - thanks.

All the best,
Bengt :thumb:

NYC Irish

Apr 26, 2004
Cork Ireland
Thanks Bengt,
That picture isnt coming up but thanks, I do not think there is anything to do but leave the props as they are.

I installed a pair of the missile tubes and closed the rest of the bay...I know I chickened out but I believe it keeps the lines smooth and looks better. I dont think that it would look like a submarine with those bays open.

THe door was pretty nice, there should be another part covering the ribs on the door but again I like the way they look, the spray paint looks great, excellent colour.

The sail comes next, Ill keep you informed.

John John

Attachments

• DSC03689.JPG
    DSC03689.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC03691.JPG
    DSC03691.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC03692.JPG
    DSC03692.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 16

jaffro

Long term member
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
I think that's a nice compromise you've gone for there...

Keeping the traditional sub shape intact, while giving just a subtle hint at what's hiding beneath the surface... Nice job on that door too, I don't think I would have wanted to do the full length of the sub either. :D

Bengt F

Nov 26, 2005
Fly Model K-141 "Kursk"

John John,

I am truly sorry that the link didn´t work - it was a side view color drawing that showed the sub with the props in exactly the same scale as in your model.
Let´s see if this one works - you´ll find the drawing a bit further down the page in the middle: http://images.google.se/images?hl=sv&q=Kursk submarine&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

The red spray color looks really authentic - the bay door looks just like a really heavy metal hatch. Excellent work.

All the best,
Bengt :thumb:

NYC Irish

Apr 26, 2004
Cork Ireland
Anyone know what the 4 little fins on the back underside about 3/4 ways down the Sub are...they are like scoops, too cool the reactor?

Wow Bengt, I had a deeper look at the "shipwreck" class missiles in that google search...nasty

John John

B

Bionic Modeler

Wow! It is coming along fantastically. i just wonder where in heck are you going to keep it?

NYC Irish

Apr 26, 2004
Cork Ireland
Well

How dare I post in a forum that has JohnMGD in it...that Yamato cutaway is amazing..

so here are the final pics of the Kursk model.

I definetly enjoyed this one, well done to Flymodel for a great kit.

Im glad I closed the missile bay doors, it would have ruined the lines of the hull.

Thanks for your help and support, I needed it

Attachments

• v.jpg
    v.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 23
  • w.jpg
    w.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 18
  • x.jpg
    x.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 256
  • y.jpg