Flying Ship Model Design Study

Discussion in 'Software' started by Gil, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Gil

Gil Active Member

Hi All,

Started playing with the Boeing 314 Clipper 1:72 drawings in Rhino. As usual this software actually allows the user to literally "play" with a design. In doing the design study of the nose I realized how the paper skinning can best be applied. The time and frustration saved is invaluable. The following shot shows the skins as they now stand with a little surface adornment "projected" onto the surface for effect. It takes time but it's totally cool...,

Gil
  2. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

That looks awesome, Gil...are you doing to go all the way with this design?

I, for one, would be very interested in seeing a paper model of this aircraft. A friend of mine, actually my wife's, father fly as the on board mechanic on these beautiful big babies before WWII, and I have been looking for a model of this airplane to build for him. Have you decided (guess it's probably too early) on whether you will have her in any particular livery colors? It seems Pan Am is one of the most popular lines to have flown her.

I do hope you will keep us updated on your work with this project, and would love to see this plane honored with a paper model...so far as I could tell, no one has modeled her in paper yet, which I found surprising, given it's place in commercial aircraft history. Do treat us to more, when you can. :D

Cheers!

Jim
  3. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

That sure is beautiful! When the topic of the Boeing Clipper first arose, I started hunting for a see-through image of it I know I have, or have seen, somewhere. That would be something, all these interior compartments modeled, or at least a good few of them.

As I'm sure you knew, the wing profile was so thick that it allowed onboard engineers access to the engines while in flight...

Leif
  4. Jim Krauzlis

Hi, Leif! :D

Exactly right! That's what my wife's friend was telling us, his father would service the engines...while in flight! He would go through the wing passages and work on them. I just found that amazing...almost as amazing as the fact that this plane has yet to be modeled in paper, as far as I could tell. :shock:

Anyway, looking forward to more on this beautiful plane.

Cheers!

Jim
  5. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Still looking for that cut-away drawing of the Boeing Clipper. Meanwhile I can't resist sharing this beatiful photo of an old model at the Smithsonian:

[​IMG]

The caption runs: "Boeing 314 cutaway fuselage: A magnificent model to promote a magnificent airplane, this cutway model of the Boeing 314 looks more like a ship than an airplane. Produced by Boeing's own model shop in 1939, the all-wood model was acquired from Pan Am in 1948 (minus part of its tail surfaces). The model went on exhibit in the Hall of Air Transportation. Scale 1/16, length 50 in."

(From the book "On miniature wings" by Thomas J. Dietz, Airlife Publishing Ltd.)

Leif

PS. Jim, "going" through the wing passage probably meant crawling - but still!
  6. OldSalt

OldSalt Member

7. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

8. Gil

Gil Active Member

Developed Surfaces

Hi All,

Lofted the surfaces using developable straight lofts. Simplification is the next step, combining some of the panels into one loft and trimming the bottom to fit the chine. Nose tip section will be changed to a reverse petal loft.

Gil
  9. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Following this with awe and admiration. - L.
  10. barry

barry Active Member

Looks superb Gil. If it's published will you update this to 1/16 Leif. I suppose Rob will .............

barry
  11. Jim Krauzlis

Really outstanding work, Gil! :D

I, as well, am watching this thread with much interest and appreciate very much the time and effort you are taking to create this beauty.

I am looking forward to the next installment. :D

I believe it goes without saying that there is a great deal of interest in this project, and this airplane in particular. I know that if it gets published I would love to try my hand at it as well, but I would probably want to do it at 1/50 scale. :wink:

Cheers!

Jim
  12. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Great work Gil!
  13. Gil

Gil Active Member

Thoughts on Scale

Hi All,

Just thought you'd like to know what the scale size of this bird implies:

------------------Span-------------Length

1:16------------114.00"------------79.5"
    1:32--------------57.00"-----------39.75"
    1:50--------------36.48"-----------25.44"
    1:72--------------25.33"-----------17.66"

Gil
  14. Jim Krauzlis

Yep, 1:50 is perfect, just as I thought... :lol:

Yikes, she was a big bird!

Ah, Leif, you might have to build another room just to build and keep her. :lol:

Cheers!

Jim
  15. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

I vote for 1/72!

Ryan
  16. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

I'm with Jim.......Big plane but 1/50 or 1/48 would be nice. Nobi's C-130 was 1/48 it would be fantastic to have this in that scale both "flying" from the celing!

john
  17. RINGMASTER

RINGMASTER Member

In 1:33 it would only about two feet long; go for the gold.
  18. shrike

shrike Guest

Go for 1/32, it'll make a great companion tothe Fly Sunderland I haven't gotten around to starting<G>

And once the wings are done a B-19 (shared wing panels/engines/etc) cries out to be next
  19. Gil

Gil Active Member

More Paperhanging

Progress:

The nose section required hand drawn curves for lofting. A little fine tuning remains and the surface needs to be developed to insure continuity.

Gil
  20. Jim Krauzlis

I just admire the time and effort that goes into a project like this...and the painstaking attention to those little details that are the difference between a good model design and an excellent design...this, Gil, is an excellent piece of work! :D

Please keep us advised as you proceed further, and thanks for sharing this process with us!

Cheers!

Jim