fly boat with foldable wings

Discussion in 'Internet Finds' started by lizzienewell, Sep 21, 2005.

1. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

This is what I've been working on. I put it in an art show in Seattle without having put on what on call the pinion plates (the fan parts). This model still isn't done. It still needs the wing skin and the canopy. I may start over though without putting on the skin. I've figured out some better way to do it that will help with the skin going on better.

I've discovered some new materials. I'm using linen artist's framing tape to reinforce the pinion plates. I can sew to the linen and it withstands movement better. I was trying to keep thread from pulling through the plates by tying knots and it pulled through anyway. You just can't sew paper. The fabric tape is a good intermediary between paper and fabric.

I'm using archiaval PVA glue which is what artists use for glueing water color paper and the like.

I also have started using T-pins instead of wire for the hinges. They don't bend as much. I need to use some washers though to keep the pins from denting and tearing the paper.

The big problem with this version is that it's too flimsey. I need to beef up the wing ribs, the struts, and the hinges.

Right not the wing ribs are two layers of cardstock reinforced with wire. I need to go up to four layers and add the t-pins for the hinges. I might take the wire reinforcement out and instead us the fabric tape. I put in wire where I needed to sew things.

Lizzie
  2. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

This is what I've been working on. I put it in an art show in Seattle without having put on what on call the pinion plates (the fan parts). This model still isn't done. It still needs the wing skin and the canopy. I may start over though without putting on the skin. I've figured out some better way to do it that will help with the skin going on better.

I've discovered some new materials. I'm using linen artist's framing tape to reinforce the pinion plates. I can sew to the linen and it withstands movement better. I was trying to keep thread from pulling through the plates by tying knots and it pulled through anyway. You just can't sew paper. The fabric tape is a good intermediary between paper and fabric.

I'm using archiaval PVA glue which is what artists use for glueing water color paper and the like.

I also have started using T-pins instead of wire for the hinges. They don't bend as much. I need to use some washers though to keep the pins from denting and tearing the paper.

The big problem with this version is that it's too flimsey. I need to beef up the wing ribs, the struts, and the hinges.

Right not the wing ribs are two layers of cardstock reinforced with wire. I need to go up to four layers and add the t-pins for the hinges. I might take the wire reinforcement out and instead us the fabric tape. I put in wire where I needed to sew things.

Lizzie
  3. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Is this model one of your own designs?
  4. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Is this model one of your own designs?
  5. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

My own design and my own concept as well. Haw, maybe I should patent the idea, but I don't want to be an entreprenuer. I'd rather be an science-fiction artist and writer.

Lizzie
  6. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

My own design and my own concept as well. Haw, maybe I should patent the idea, but I don't want to be an entreprenuer. I'd rather be an science-fiction artist and writer.

Lizzie
  7. GEEDUBBYA

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Miss Lizzie,

Well, if you dont wish to go thru the long and very expensive patent process (I know it is cause I hold one patent myself), be sure and make full use of the © symbol and let it be known that you claim all rights to the the use of the model and any other work you may produce.
    Even though you may not have a patent, If you keep notes and document dates and drawings etc., this documentation will go a long way in any conflict you may ever encounter. Even Transcripts from your postings here can be used to show proof of you being the designer should it ever be needed. But its all about documentation.

By the way, really great looking model too

have a good evening,

Greg aka GW
  8. GEEDUBBYA

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Miss Lizzie,

Well, if you dont wish to go thru the long and very expensive patent process (I know it is cause I hold one patent myself), be sure and make full use of the © symbol and let it be known that you claim all rights to the the use of the model and any other work you may produce.
    Even though you may not have a patent, If you keep notes and document dates and drawings etc., this documentation will go a long way in any conflict you may ever encounter. Even Transcripts from your postings here can be used to show proof of you being the designer should it ever be needed. But its all about documentation.

By the way, really great looking model too

have a good evening,

Greg aka GW