flustration with this forum

ezdays

Out AZ way
More would have left if I had done nothing. Quite possibly, everyone.
Peter is right, we were having daily problems here. Access was slow at best and sometimes nonexistent. Sometimes going from page to page took forever. There were times when I'd try to open a page and go off and do something else while it loaded, other times I'd just give up and come back later. Yeah, I am an administrator and I do come here a lot more often than most folks, but believe me, I don't have immunity to these problems and I can get frustrated as well.

We were restricted on pictures, the sizes and the amount we could upload, and we don't have to be reminded that the staff and regular members here spent a good deal of time combating spam. We were bombarded with spam sometimes 20 or 30 times a day, we were banning spammers at about the same rate and it just wasn't fair for anyone to have to spend all that time away from doing what we like to do. And yes, we lost a few good people because of the changes, that's a shame, but it's a fact of life that some people just can't deal with changes. During the course of the year we will always lose a few members that were regulars, we could even lose a member of the staff now and then. What some are overlooking is the fact that we have picked up a bunch of good people and great modelers as well and we don't want to drive anymore away by not making this forum accessible.

I'm sorry that some people couldn't stick with us through these changes, and I'm particularly sorry that some of you are having problems staying logged on and that some of these changes have resulted in the loss of pictures and links. I think these problems are minimal compared to what things would be like had we stayed with the old server and old software. I think these same people would have left for other reasons had we not made these changes.

Just be aware, when Peter changed servers, we were only down for a few hours, AMR is now going to change servers and they're saying they'll be down for a few days.... We wish them luck and we hope they won't lose too many members in the process.

Mountain Man

I was having problems being remembered by the site and getting to see pics and follow links, but I haven't had any problems lately. I followed the suggestion of deleting the Guage cookies, well, actually all of them and I haven't had any problems since.

Try the cookie thing before coming to the conclusion that the site is picking on you.:-D

Do not introduce paranoia as an excuse for the reality-based comments of others.

Neither Ron nor I have indicated that we felt "picked on"; we have merely related our factual problems with the new system.

Attack the argument; never attack the poster.

Gary S.

Oh man.

I'm sitting here wondering what happened to my 1-72 tap. I need it to add frog feeders to my Atlas Code83 Custom-Line #4s. I'm also sitting here soldering point feeders.

For the turn-outs I had already installed, that was a pain... doing the frog feeding and point feeding while it was already glued down was not my favorite.

Anyway, it dawns on me that there is nothing wrong with being active on 2 MRR forums.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Mountain Man, I suspect zedob was making a joke and intended no insult. I'm glad to see that you persevere in posting despite the difficulties you report. Hope it become less irksome for you.
Ralph

zedob

Do not introduce paranoia as an excuse for the reality-based comments of others.

Neither Ron nor I have indicated that we felt "picked on"; we have merely related our factual problems with the new system.

Attack the argument; never attack the poster.

Sorry, I WAS joking (notice the little smile face) and not at all intending to indicate that either one of you, or anyone for that matter, felt that you were actually being picked upon. I too had my problems with the site, as mentioned before my last quip, but decided to wait it out until the issues were resolved, which happened after reading other's issues and cures and then tried them myself.

However, to all of those who couldn't wait to express how bad of an experience they were having and how they felt they had to leave because of it, well I can't say much except that they need to:

Attack the problem, not the forum owner.

Constructive critisism works and IS happening here and I hope is helping Peter work the bugs out. I feel the majority of us that are here feel the same way otherwise I think we would've all have left by now.

Peter has a daunting project on his hands as far as I can tell and I commend him for it, whether he does a great job or makes a boo-boo, but he is human and doing what he thinks is best for the general forum populace.

Again, it was a joke, maybe not worded right and to that I apologize. I never attack other posters, but I will make jokes.:mrgreen:

Constructive critisism works and IS happening here and I hope is helping Peter work the bugs out.

Actually, people pointing out real problems is a HUGE help. Things like the whitelist bug that I wouldn't have seen, wouldn't have been fixed without people telling me that it needs fixing.