Floquil "Driftwood"

My last bottle of Floquil Driftwood finally gave up the ghost and did what all bottles of Floquil eventually do. But I've heard that Floquil CN Gray is a dead-ringer for Driftwood. Is this true? Has anyone tried it? :confused:

Vic

Hi Casey, I've been using Floquil SP Lt. Lettering Grey thinned about half and half. Seemed to be a pretty good match:) I haven't seen the CN Grey but Floquil is kinda "sneaky" some of the colors are the same just a different name!!!:eek: :D

Try some Floquil Concrete thinned out. It makes an interesting/nice stain too. Any of the regular Floquil colors will make stains just thin them down:D :)

Casey, I located a can of mini wax stains at the paint store, they are a large company that makes many stains so should not be hard to find. They make a driftwood stain and I got some in a small can. Test it first to get the right consistancy as it does need thinning. Much cheaper than hobby paints. I also use a couple of their stains for tie stains and other wood stains. Ron...

Ron - Several times in the last few months I looked at Minwax in Walmart and Home Depot but could never find anything close to "Driftwood." Maybe I should have tried a regular paint store :rolleyes:

I did use a Minwax oak stain on a board-by-board water tank/shed model. I liked the way the stripwood took the stain until I tried to weather it. My black alcohol mix just rolled right off because the stain had pretty much rendered the stripwood weatherproof. Not exactly what I anticipated or wanted to happen. :( As a result, all of the weathering was done with chalks alone, instead of my usual black alcohol/chalks "combo."

Attachments

• pict0009.jpg
    pict0009.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 77
Vic, thanks for the tip on the SP Lettering Gray. I think I'll get that and the CN Gray and try both. If there's enough difference in the shading, it could make for some interesting variations in weathering.

BTW: I frequently use "stains" made from earth-tone acrylics, water, and Inda ink. I soak entire batches of stripwood in them before beginning b-by-b projects.