Flex

Grotto

Jun 29, 2006
Toronto
I have never used flex track but now it could be useful but I have a question.

If you curve the flex track, will not the outer rail protrude from the end of the ties, and if so, is this extra length of rail cut, and if so how is it cut.

The above run on sentence would make my English teacher spin in her grave. announce1

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
When you bend the flex track, the inner rail goes longer based on geometry. And yes, you do cut it. I just use a good pair of wire cutters for N scale track that cut one side flat. You can buy rail nippers but they're basically the same thing and run you twice as much.

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
I use the small cut blade in the dremel tool collection to cut the longer rail and then file them flat with a metal file and remove any burrs.

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
ezdays said:
When you bend the flex track, the inner rail goes longer based on geometry. And yes, you do cut it. I just use a good pair of wire cutters for N scale track that cut one side flat. You can buy rail nippers but they're basically the same thing and run you twice as much.

The major difference about 'rail nippers' is the blades have a flat side instead of two angles so that the cut ends up flush instead of pointed. I'm sure there's a tool term for this but I don't know what it is. My rail nippers from 15 years ago were great, and the cuts required little finishing work. But last year I used them on something I shouldn't have and destroyed them.

Never the less, it's the flush cut that matters. I'm sure Dremel tool or saw work very well, but for me they're not as handy as a pair of nippers. Especially if you have a lot of track and it's spread out. The nippers can even go in a shirt pocket for quick access.

Click here for a site detailing nippers. Of the flush cutters he mentions I had the bottom tool. And oddly I have the top one at work for cutting electrical wire.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
LoudMusic said:
The major difference about 'rail nippers' is the blades have a flat side instead of two angles so that the cut ends up flush instead of pointed. I'm sure there's a tool term for this but I don't know what it is. My rail nippers from 15 years ago were great, and the cuts required little finishing work. But last year I used them on something I shouldn't have and destroyed them.

Never the less, it's the flush cut that matters. I'm sure Dremel tool or saw work very well, but for me they're not as handy as a pair of nippers. Especially if you have a lot of track and it's spread out. The nippers can even go in a shirt pocket for quick access.

Click here for a site detailing nippers. Of the flush cutters he mentions I had the bottom tool. And oddly I have the top one at work for cutting electrical wire.
Yeah, I think that's what I said, the cutters I use for the rails has one side flat ("flush" is the tool term). They are made by C. H. P. (Italy) and have very soft rubber handles. I'd venture to say that they are every bit as good as rail nippers, again, at about half the price. I've got others that I use for cutting wire (the blue-handled ones in those pictures), they too have one side flush since we used them to trim leads on circuit boards that we assembled. Some of the others that this guy shows on that site aren't even good for cutting wires nevermind rails.

I also use a pair of these to cut plastic parts from their sprues. I've got a pair of sprue-cutting tweezers, but these are easier to handle.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
It is also possible to use a razor saw if you hold the rail very steady.
Whatever method, you should tidy up the cut end with a fine file. I used to used electrician's pliers and a nailfile, but I couldn't afford other tools when I was 13.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
ATLAS has a flex track saw that is like $5.00 or $6.00. But i think wire snippers are the best. After cutting, just take a file and brush the sharp edges off and make sure rail joiners fit correctly.