Flex Track

racer25j

Jan 15, 2007
Hemet, Ca
Hi all,

I was wondering what was the best way to cut flex track? do they make a specific type of cutter that can be used?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Hi Jeff,
Some people use a hobby razor saw, others a cut off disk with their Dremel tool, and others like myself swear by the Xuron cutting tool...which looks like a small pair of pliers or wire cutter but is specially designed to make flush cuts on track.
Ralph

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
I was skeptical too about the Xuron cutter, until I saw one in action. That thing does make a clean cut on one side. The other side will be somewhat pinched, but all you need to do is make another cut to square that up.

I bought one and it's now my favorite way of cutting rail. :thumb:

CAS

Apr 10, 2005
Chicago, Illinois
I had purchased a Xuron cutting tool, I get a very clean cut on 1 side. So the peice of track i need, i will cut with the flat end (or back side) of cutter for the clean cut. No filing on this peice of track. It's a good tool to cut your track.

CAS

abutt

Jan 11, 2006
NW CT, USA
I've found the Dremel with their cutting disc the easiest way for a precision joint. Laying the rail to be cut right over where its supposed to fit and then using the Dremel gives me a perfect fit every time. I've never used the Xuron, but it would seem to me that one would have to lift the rail before cutting.

berraf

Oct 29, 2006
Odeshog, Sweden
www.fasth.de
I use a Dremel with a cutting disc and it works super :)
It´s only when cutting a rail that are ballasted and fixed to its place there´s a problem to cut the right angle with a Dremel but that´s a small problem to take care off.
Dremel is my choice :)

jkristia

Aug 1, 2002
Simi Valley, CA,
Visit site
If for some reason you have to cut a gap in installed track, then I use Dremmel with a cutoff disk. I used to use Dremmel when installing also, but just recently got me the Xuron cutter, and I am really surprised of how clean a cut it makes (on one side only), almost no need for any filing afterwards. However, I do still round the corners of the rail head before it is installed.

Jesper

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I use the Xuron cutting tool. Most of my track cutting is making joiner tracks for modular set ups. We have a standard set back for the rails, but due to different climate conditions in various club member's storage areas, the length required for the joiner tracks seems to vary from set up to set up. The rail nippers are just so easy to use. I also use the rail nippers to cut the little bit of excess metal off of rail joiners so that I don't have to cut off as many ties to slip them in.

racer25j

Jan 15, 2007
Hemet, Ca
I was just curious. Most magazines tell you to use a saw and after a test run; I ended up with a huge mess. Thanks again everyone.

abutt

Jan 11, 2006
NW CT, USA
I don't think one can have enough tools for this hobby. When I start rebuilding the CNE ( I've recently had to move) I'll get a Xuron cutter and make my own decision.

dsfraser

May 13, 2004
Just remember, please, when using a Dremel cutoff wheel, wear eye protection. The wee bits of metal can be very nasty in the eye, but if the wheel shatters (which they do) a shard in the wrong place will do major damage.

Cheers
Scott Fraser
Calgary

RioGrande

Jun 10, 2004
Cheapest - Razor saw (if your really on a tight budget) not that easy to use

A little more costly - Xuron - works pretty darn good but not a perfect cut.

most costly - Dremel with cutoff disc (my favorite) give best cleanest cut. Wear eye protection cause the cutting wheel breaks sometimes and flys into pieces.

$modelman$

Jan 15, 2007
Andover MA
I'm new at this hobby and have a question dealing with FLEX track. Is there a difference between ATL168 and ATL178. I found a site that is selling ATL 168 for $1.99 and ATL178 for$13.96 for a 5 pack. Can anybody tell me is the cheaper is OK to use.
Thanks,
Bart

RioGrande

Jun 10, 2004
I don't know which Atlas part numbers correspond to which track. Atlas sells code 83 track which is closer to the real thing size wise, band more expensive than the older but very reliable code 100, which is slightly over size. It could be the 168 is the code 100 and the 178 is a 5 pack of the code 83. Not sure. All Atlas flex track is good quality and will work well. The code 83 is a little finer and more realistic looking. If you paint and weather your track.. the differences are less apparent.

RioGrande

Jun 10, 2004
LongIslandTom said:
Yep, reference for Atlas Code 100 track products:

http://www.atlasrr.com/Trackmisc/hocode100.htm

The 168 are single pieces of 3' Code 100 flex track.

The 178 are 5-packs fo 3' Code 100 flex track.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for looking it up. I've been on the Atlas forums since 1994 but was too lazy to lookup the part numbers. When I did the math, it seemed the five pack came out more expensive which didn't make sense - thats why I guessed it to be the code 83 track.