Flex-Track: MP vs. Atlas

ren451

Hi all, I'm looking at making a large purchase of flex-track. I can get a box of 100 pcs of Atlas flex for $176.99 ($1.77 each) and I can get a box of 100 pcs of Model Power flex for $99.99 ($1.00 each) plus shipping of course. My question is: Is the difference in quality worth the difference in price?

I don't have any MP track to compare to the Atlas track that I have. I have been told to stay away from MP, Bachmann and LifeLike turnouts but I wasn't sure about the flex.Any input would be great. Thanks!

OnTrack

I may be able to help you out with this, at my LHS, they had flex track nailed to cork (it was only nailed at the top) if you asked for help you were allowed to go ahead and test the track twist it and such, there were a few brands 5 if i remember right. Two of which were Atlas and MP. I messed around with them both and the Atlas felt much better. It looked better as well, with the MP the ties moved around alot more and the track has no stiffness to it at all, wasnt very rigid i guess you could say...it just felt cheap you know. So i chose to go with Atlas, and im very pleased with it. Ive also heard that MP locomotive's arent to good of a buy either. I dont know if this helps but thats the experiance ive had with it compared to Atlas.

railohio

I can't imagine there'd be that much difference between flex track brands until you get to the Code 55 stuff. I know to stay well away from the "off-brand" turnouts but I'd be mighty tempted by those savings myself. That said, in the grand scheme of things $77 isn't really that much when building a layout so what's the harm in spending a little more and making sure you've done the best job you can?

ren451

Thanks

Thanks for the opinions. I'm in the planning stages for a club layout. There are only 3 of us N-gaugers and the club and we will be fitting most of the bill so saving money where we can is a major concern. Cost is also the prime reason for not going with code 55 track. We have decided to spend a bit more on Peco turnouts. Our current layout has all Atlas turnouts and some are great and some are terrible so it is hit and miss. I think that I will suggest that we go with the Atlas flex-track though.

KCS

Your best bet. Stay away from everything Model Power. It's junk. If their flex track is anything like their Power-Loc sectional track then it's steel rail rather than nickel silver. Very prone to rusting and poor electrical pickup. Yes Atlas is the better way to go.

I have occasionally used the less expensive track (flex and sectional) and the phrase "you get what you pay for" certainly applies.

C

Catt

Being an old NTRAKer I prefer using the MP flex for curves because it will hold its shape when curved which allowed us to form the track to radius then trim the ends before installing.

We never had any electrical problems with it and do not have any with the 2TRAK either using the same brand.

i have about 25 feet of MP flex track on my friend's layout. never had any problems. Never had any problems with the atlas either. Ive had the MP for about four years. The atlas is younger