Flashing bridge problem

Scoobie

Hey all, I just bought a tressle bridge with a blinking light. When the light blinks the Loco looses power ( slows when the the light blinks ). The light get the power from the track. My question is, if I disconnect the cooper connection from the track and run a wire from that to my AC acessory will it hurt anything.

shaygetz

If anything, the increased voltage may shorten the life of the bulb a bit but it should work. Most incandescent bulbs can light on both AC or DC current. Chances are that this one is a blinker type bulb itself and not a bulb attached to a blinking circuit so there would be no circuit to burn out. Hope that helps:thumb:

Marxed

if you got a second transformer, use it for your lights... i have a couple of HO / N gauge transformers dedicated to lights alone

ezdays

Out AZ way
Scoobie said:
Hey all, I just bought a tressle bridge with a blinking light. When the light blinks the Loco looses power ( slows when the the light blinks ). The light get the power from the track. My question is, if I disconnect the cooper connection from the track and run a wire from that to my AC acessory will it hurt anything.
Before I change to AC power, if it's a blinking light, it may require DC only. You could use a separate DC power pack in that case. But, I'd check and see why the light is overloading your rail power. It should not take that much power away from the rails to stall the train. What are you using for a power pack? What other accessories are you running from the power pack? Remember, some power packs are rated for total output, that means the DC rail power and the AC accessory power.

Scoobie

Hey EZ, right now I'm running a basic power pack with DC & AC for Acessories. I have 4 switches on now.

Russ Bellinis

Scoobie said:
Hey EZ, right now I'm running a basic power pack with DC & AC for Acessories. I have 4 switches on now.

What do you mean by "basic power pack?" Are you talking about a train set pack? If so, use it for accessories, and get a good throttle for your trains. Typically train set packs are designed to barely have enough power to handle the locomotive that came with the train set.

Scoobie

Yes, it is a pwer pack from a set. My son & I are just starting out. I thought maybe that might become a problem sooner or later. Would that cause the Loco to slow when the light blinks? We are looking at new power packs. Can you suggest one.

ezdays

Out AZ way
If you bouht a "train set" and are using the power pack that came with it, chances are that it is the bare minimum to run one train and power a few accessories. All power packs have a rating printed on them to tell you what the maximum DC rail voltage and AC accessory voltage are. There will also be a maximum VA (volt-amp) or power rating. Yours is probably under 10 VA. If you're going to be running DC as opposed to DCC, than a good MRC power pack will do. Get one rated at least 25 VA. I have a couple of MRC Tech4/350's for my N scale which is probably overkill, but I got them at a good price. Remember though, the VA rating is for all outputs, so you can still have a problem with the rail voltage if you load down the accessory output. I've got a couple of "train set" power packs that I have wired to power lights and other accessories.

Keep asking questions if you need any help, we're all glad to give you answers.:wave: :wave:

Scoobie

Thanks

Thanks for the advice guys, I now have the brdge light running off some AA batteries for the time being as my son likes the blinking light, he thinks it's COOL. EZ Days, thanks for the support, I have learn so much from " the Gauge" I'm glad I joined ( great people and interesting discussions ) Thanks again.
Scoobie:thumb: