Fitting track

Greenman_Belg

Have my track, nearly ready to place my layout.
I have the track with the ballast built in.
My question is, what sort of underlay should I use? should I use underlay and how do I attach the track to the baseboard?

Thanks alot JD!!!

webmaster

I think underlay is much a personal preference. The two most common are cork and polystyrene. Personally I use cork.

You can either fix the track with track pins or contact adhesive, obviously you have more chance of being able to move the track without damaging it if you lay it wrongly or change your mind using track pins.

Greenman_Belg

Thanks for the reply.
I think I'll go with the cork. The pins well I think I'll pick them up at my next show.

Thanks again.

JD!!!

HPRL

Greenman: If your track already has the blast I am assuming you are using snap type track. Either Kato, Bachmann, etc. Why lay cork down (or am i wrong here). Just lay your track down on styrofoam. Use temporay tacking 1st until you have your track the way you want.

Again, maybe I am missing something.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Greenman_Belg said:
Thanks for the reply.
I think I'll go with the cork. The pins well I think I'll pick them up at my next show.

Thanks again.

JD!!!
You said you had pre-balasted track. The cork would be used as a roadbed to be balasted, that won't work too well, so you would be looking to either nail or glue your track to whatever you are using for your layout base, be it plywood or foam. Some don't like nails, but it's easier to make changes than if you use glue.

Let's start with two questions, what kind of track are you using, and what is you layout base made material? It's easier to make suggestions when you know what you're working with.