fishing seiners

lizzienewell

Jun 24, 2005
Anchorage, Alaska
lizzienewell.com
Hello all,

Here is a picture of the seiner that I've been working on along with the photos that I based it off of. They are each 3" long. It takes me about 3 hours to do one of these. Each time I build it I adjust the design. That is prototype # 2 in the front. #3 is toward the back.
I shot the rear photo with the blue water from Land's End on the Homer Spit, Alaska. The other photo is from the newspaper and is herring seiners out of Togiak, Alaska.
I seem to be getting better on this. I discovered about rolling masts and booms from this site. Thanks. They work better than flat parts.
Tomorrow's version #4 should be even better. I'm adding radar and antennas along with reworking the deck house. I might do the net-corks by rolling a tube and cutting it and then getting some black tissue paper of the net.
Such fun.

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Hi, Lizzie! :D

Very nice design and builds! You're getting quite a nice little fleet together there. :D

The only possible suggestion I would make is to double check the size of the pilot houses...they seem a bit large/high compared to the rest of the boat, but that could merely be a matter of perspective from looking at the photo in your background photo. You might also want to consider using some florist wire, the thin stuff of about 28 or 30 guage and use that for the masting and fishing boom.

As for the netting, in as much as these little fellows are only about 3" long, how about using some black or charcoal colored pantyhose? If you take the pantyhose and spread it over a frame to open up the weave a bit and spray it with something like clear matte acrylic spray (or even hairspray, though I haven't tried that yet) the weave stays open and can be working into a pretty convincing netting.

The fun in working with these little fellows is trying to find out different ways to create some of the detail that is in scale yet looks convincing. I'd say you've got a pretty good talent for doing that looking at your fleet. :D

Looking forward to more updates as you build more boats! :wink:

Cheers!

Jim

lizzienewell

Jun 24, 2005
Anchorage, Alaska
lizzienewell.com
The pilot house is too tall and a bit too narrow. I've changed the height in the next model. The lower part of the house is recessed into the deck so the doorway needs its own roof jutting above the house. It was simpler to rough in the lower part at head-hight until I'd worked out the basics.
You have a good eye for preportions that you noticed.

I love the idea of the pantyhose net. I like that these are small enough and simple enough that I can do them quickly and in multiple variations.

Thank you for the ideas.

GEEDUBBYA

Sep 26, 2005
PINE BLUFF, ARKANSAS
Howdy again Lizzie,

Once again, Great looking models, I have used panty hose for covering on the backs of military truck models in plastic before and it works really well and is even "paintable".
Now not trying to get people in your community to "talking about you" when you go buy these, but maybe "fishnet hose" would work for "netting" lol.
And as I have said a few times on here, nylon fishing line makes good "guy wires" and even railing. Glue the line between two points and with the heat of a cigarette (or hairdryer, lighter etc...) heat the line after the glue dries to cause the line to "shrink" and become "taught" between the two glued ends. And bread tie twist make for good antenna material, simply burn off the paper coating, and for a "whip antenna", coil a small section of the wire at one end around a needle creating a "spring" like the ones found at the base of some whip antennas.
But I really think you boats look great, Do you hand draw them then cut them out, draw them on the puter and print them and then build them, or do you just "freehand"? (start cutting and build from there).

Anyway, I am glad to see you are settling in here and we all hope to see more postings and lots more photos of your work. Have a nice day,

Greg aka GEEDUBBYA (GW)

lizzienewell

Jun 24, 2005
Anchorage, Alaska
lizzienewell.com
I draw them with Coreldraw and print on coverstock. I have a BFA in sculpture so I've worked freehand a lot but I like having parts that can be mass produced and modified. When working with clay I found that I liked making plaster molds so that I didn't have to start from the beginning each time. I also learned to documant and record what I did so that I could repeat my proceedure.

I love how a computer frees me from the preciousness of materials. I accidently stepped on one of my boats this morning, but it doesn't matter. I'll be making another one. My real work is in designing the process to make the models and not any one individual model. I love how digital cameras make documentation so easy.
Technology is wonderful. CDs are so much easier to store than plaster molds. And! I can make multiples with the touch of a button rather than with building forms to fill with plaster.

I'll raid my sockdrawer for stockings. I've got some old fishnet stockings but the weave is too big.
cool idea about the twist ties and monofiliment.