First Weathering Job

Discussion in 'Weathering Forum' started by Ginns, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Ginns

Ginns New Member

Hey, I'm posting some pictures of my first weathering job on my first kit. I'm pretty happy with the results, but definately have a LOT to learn. I felt as if it was a hit or miss operation, having to redo the paint several times hamr.

It would be nice to hear some responses/suggestions for things I can improve upon. I bought another kit along with this one and figured it would be helpful to get some feedback before messing around with another:mrgreen:. Yes, they were fairly cheap Roundhouse kits, but I only have so much room for error :p

First off, I had decided to repaint the top and sides with floquil engine black to get rid of the glossy-plastic look that was on the original kit. Then I painted the bottom and couplers with floquil railroad tie brown. Boy, is this stuff a pain to clean off a brush. It also did not seem to stick to well to the metal :curse:. Any ideas as to what I need to do to fix this? Is there some solvent or technique (not mixing bottle enough?) I am missing as to the use of this paint? Anyways, any ideas about this would be much appreciated.

Then I tried an acrylic wash on the car of some brown I happened to mix up. I swabbed it up with a cotton ball, trying to keep upward or downward strokes. Lastly I drybrushed some rust color on the trucks and other metal parts of the car.

Well, sorry for that long-winded explanation, I'm out of breath just typing it :rolleyes:. However, any basic flaws you can point out or *hints* you can give me would be great. :mrgreen: Hopefully some of you more experienced modelers can help me on the way to weathering some more of these cars and such :thumb:

Ginns

Attached Files:

2. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

First off, very nice weathering job! The horn-hook couplers still make it look like a toy to me, so I suggest some kuckle couplers, even accurail's cruddy kind would make your car look alot better. Also, what scale is it?
  3. Ginns

Ginns New Member

Thanks CNWman for the compliments, and it is in HO scale. Secondly, I agree completely with the couplers, they just happened to come with the kit. I have to replace them so that they are even compatable with the other rolling stock :rolleyes:. Hopefully if I can order some from Kadee I can start running it :mrgreen:

Ginns
  4. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

Holy smokes! I did a double take for that one!! I just finished weathering one of those!!! :eek: Could use some dirt on the underframe, some rust on the trucks, but otherwise nice.
  5. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

Some dullcote too might help.