First Weathered Boxcar

RaiderCTE

Jan 11, 2001
charlotte,NC
www.raidercte.netfirms.com
Not necessarily wanting to over do the weathering, I used my black wash I used for ballasting and then used a building brown for the trucks. Now I just want to tone down the roof a little more but not sure how.

Dsc01519resized.jpg

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
I agree with Paul - looking good so far, but perhaps a little thrown-up dust around the front and back and underside of the car.

I've had good results airbrushing PolyScale Aged Concrete from the underside. Not rocket science at all, and a great way to get over airbrushiphobia. Doesn't need to be even, and doesn't need to be heavy either. Just remove the couplers (or mask them off with a little plastic wrap) and give a couple of squirts from the bottom. This is exactly how real dirt gets thrown up so IMO it looks pretty realistic.

cheers
Val

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Looks good!
Saw a real Rail Box on the Housatonic. Really weathered bad. Wanted to try to get the same effect.
Won't compare to yours though. Yours is much better.Rustall and a brush(lots of rustall) on mine.

Attachments

• rbox.jpg
    rbox.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 85

RaiderCTE

Jan 11, 2001
charlotte,NC
www.raidercte.netfirms.com
Yeah, I went and looked at a prototype so I sprayed it again and added some "mud", as spit suggested. Pretty happy with it but I will probably take some water and a brush and fade out part of it on the railbox. The Conrail worked out well for not expecting it too. I had sprayed it with dullcote and something between the dullcote, plastic and the spray did what I think was a teriffic jobe pulling the white out and still having the black grime look. The paint was applied with a brush since I am airbrush-less. :)

Attachments

• railresized.jpg
    railresized.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 75

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Hi Raider, I thought your first photo was excellant. BTW, I like your track too. While there are plenty of examples of severly weathered cars, lightly weathered cars are needed in your trains as well. Both nice, you should feel confident about weathering now. One thing, I liked the lettering on the doors which was more visable in the first photo.

Gary