First Tractor

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Inspired by Spitfire's Tractors in Production!, I have built the first of two tractors in the Woodland Scenics white metal kit. I will build the other and add some wooden crates and other stuff (any suggestions??) to a 42' flat to make an interesting "e"oad for my layout.

The wooden skid was made simply by scribing a bit of popsicle stick...

Andrew

Attachments

• tractor and skid 03.jpg
    tractor and skid 03.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 174

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Thanks for the comments!

belg - I was debating the silver wheels - the picture at Woodland Scenics shows them painted this way. My other option was to paint the entire wheel yellow.

The two tractors will be put on a flat car to represent brand new tractors coming to the local dealer.

Do you have any info on how these would have looked new from the factory?

Andrew

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
The wheels would have been John Deere yellow (no kidding, it's patented) all the way around. The rest is, what else, John Deere green. It would be a shade brighter, if you were picky. Other than that, you've just about hit it on the head. We have a fellow here who restores them, must easily own 20-25 in various years and configuations. This one and the same with the monster steel fenders are my favorites though. Great job.

pcentral

Jul 17, 2002
Central California
Visit site
I agree with Shaygetz. The colors need to be true John Deere green and yellow(brighter!). I would also paint the steering wheel all yellow. Some people also paint the flywheel yellow, but I don't know if they came that way originally. We just had the California Antique Farm Equipment Show here last month. I was in heaven, since antique farm equipment is my newest obsession!

Hey Shaygetz, where is that fellow who collects Deere at? I have seen a website of a guy who collects and restores Deere, wonder if it's the same gent?
Steve

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Thanks for the additional info. The tractor is reefer yellow and ??? green, since that is what I have on hand.

I thought that the wheels might have been all yellow from the factory - the farmer would let the paint wear off and not bother to repaint I imagine.

pcentral - What's the web site and does it have pictures of this model tractor? Thanks.

Andrew

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
About those wheels - if it's a brand-new tractor, like a flat car load, paint them yellow (or something - just not silver). If it's an "in-use" tractor, like in a field, maybe you could try a darkening wash to tone down the silver a bit.

I have a metal sign at home, "collected" during my misbegotten youth, that says "OIL ROAD --- TRACTORS WITH LUGS PROHIBITED". Must be from that era!

Matt Probst

Mar 15, 2002
Hershey,Pa.
Visit site
Mason jar--what type of paint did you use on your tractor? I have a WS diesel fuel facility that needs painted and I never painted metal castings before. Did you brush it on or use an airbrush?
Thanks!:)

Matt--Hershey, Pa.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Originally posted by Matt Probst
Mason jar--what type of paint did you use on your tractor? I have a WS diesel fuel facility that needs painted and I never painted metal castings before. Did you brush it on or use an airbrush?
Thanks!:)

Matt--Hershey, Pa.

Hi Matt,

I used Polly Scale (railroad colours set). I used the micro brushes to apply. I don't have an airbrush. I did not wash the metal casting as recommended, but the paint seemed to stick anyway.

Good luck with your project - I am practicing on these small items before I tackle the WS Caboose / Sanding facility.

Andrew

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Thanks!

Thanks for the link!

The 1937 A is very close (except the front wheels), and there are enough other pictures to help me out. Looks like the radiator will "go green", and the wheels will be all yellow.

Andrew

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I think the 37 model "A" is probably "dead on" for your Woodland Scenics model. The model has been around for many years, and was probably designed back when it was not possible to cast the front wheels correctly for ho scale. I doubt anyone who isn't looking at the prototype would even notice the difference in the front wheels. It is interesting having steel rear wheels with rubber tires on the front.

pcentral

Jul 17, 2002
Central California
Visit site
Hey Andrew,
Glad it helped. The model A was made for a number of years and came in several different styles. I have seen them with rubber front wheels and with all steel. The steel back wheels allowed for more traction. I would guess that the rubber front wheels are later models, but I don't know. A friend of mine has two model A's, both the same year. One has electric start and the other is manual start. The manual start is fired by spinning the flywheel.
Steve