First Scratch Built Buildings

Strthoky

Feb 7, 2003
South East Michigan
hometown.aol.com
Well today I decided to go get some styrene and test my scratch building skills.... It is not finished yet.. I have to get some more styrene and modiy the layout so it fits right... but here is my first attempt... a trackside exchange
Oh yeah I decided to name it after the inspiration :)

sc5.JPG

sc1.JPG

sc6.JPG

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
For a begining scratchbuilt building you are doing really well Strthoky. We hope to see many more posts from you as this Gauge Transportation building gets completed and other structures come along

Strthoky

Feb 7, 2003
South East Michigan
hometown.aol.com
hehe... It is fun and Cheap!!! its me!!!

I just bought some windows though... after a failed attempt at scratching them.. So I can fis the front end of that plain looking facade. Also I have to get some more styrene to dress up those garage doors..

QUESTION: what do you all use to fill the windows... I was thinking clear styrene but wanted something a little more realistic window looking.. like tinted or mirrored..

Strthoky

Feb 7, 2003
South East Michigan
hometown.aol.com
well Here are my latest attempts... Getting frustrating.. and will probably be my last for a while.. I think I am better at weathering and detailing a kit that is already designed and cut... I am getting frustrated with my building skills...

711.JPG

29.JPG

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Nothing wrong with your building skills my friend. We scratchbuilders tend to be our own worst critics and are never truly satisfied. Just place them on your layout and they will blend in very nicely. Then you will say to yourself that they look pretty darned good.
Kits are fine but limiting as you can't find kits of buildings you really want or the kits get very expensive

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Hey Strthoky, what do you mean by 'frustrating'? I don't see anything wrong with that hot dog restaurant. Ok, you might add perhaps an interior if you wish to do so - but the building as such looks just fine.

Or do you mean the irregularities along the roof boards and the base plate? I hope not - for me it looks like the front was somewhat damaged by weather. The decoration peeling off and hanging down looks outright great! And the slight warping of the base can easily be hidden by some gravel or sand of the parking lot in front of the building when you are planting it on the layout.

You asked about filling windows: I use the thin glass slides which are used as object covers for microscoping. For modeling glass nothing looks better than glass!

Ron