First picture of the NSR

McFortner

Sep 9, 2002
Stockbridge, GA
Visit site
Still learning how close I can get with the digital camera, but since there have been so many cries for anybody to post pictures of their layout, here is one of mine.

Hope you like it. As you can see, NSR Switcher 128 is waiting for the afternoon freight pulled by 1206 to pass.

Michael

ps: for those who can't tell, the logo for the NSR is the Bonnie Blue Flag.

McFortner

Sep 9, 2002
Stockbridge, GA
Visit site
Yep, the NSR is a startup shortline, formed after a Class Action lawsuit against Norfolk Southern. The government stepped in and decided that they had an unfair advantage in several markets and ordered the selling of some of the lines. NSR was formed from one of the two lines that run from Atlanta to Macon, GA and incorporates some of the abandoned spurs from that line as well. Right now the inventory consists of anything they can buy or rent. Since they can not afford any extra downtime, NSR has not done a total repaint of the road units. Usually they paint out the old name and paint their name or initials in, along with their Bonnie Blue Flag standard. This has already resulted in some train spotters nicknaming NSR the "Rainbow Railroad". However, the railway is earning respect for keeping older equipment running instead of scrapping it for the newest just because it is new.

This allows me to run pretty much any piece of equipment that catches my fancy (and I can afford! :rolleyes: ). I will eventually get a airbrush and learn how to use it, so as time goes by the units will eventually settle into a green color scheme, but by this time tradition will require the older units to keep their colors. Should make for an interesting looking fleet. Especially since every train will have a caboose instead of a F.R.E.D. I think they should have kept them around just for tradition. Even if all they did was use them to transport less than carload shipments. Trains are just not the same since they were discontinued here. :(

Anyway, that is enough for now I guess....

Michael

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi Micheal, You can take over the Griffin to Columbus line too...its abandoned.:(

Actually the city here bought about 8-9 miles of it and claim they are gonna run some kind of battery powered trolley on it as part of the METRA transportation system. :eek: That ought to be "a hoot" 'cause they can't even keep the police cars and the garbage trucks running:D :D :D :D :p

McFortner

Sep 9, 2002
Stockbridge, GA
Visit site
Originally posted by Vic
Hi Micheal, You can take over the Griffin to Columbus line too...its abandoned.:(

Vic, would you believe I am already planning that. I found a map of current and abandoned lines in Georgia in PDF format and I printed it and used that to help with the history and future expansion of the railway. I have put a copy of it on my webpage at http://pages.prodigy.net/n0ybc/garailsystem.pdf (even if I don't have any train stuff up yet.... :eek: )

I currently am using the eastern Atlanta/Macon line, the abandoned line from McDonough to Covington, and the abandoned line from McDonough to Griffin. As soon as the MOW crews have rehabilitated the line, service will open from Griffin to Columbus. Completion is planned around early December of this year. Stay tuned for further announcements.... ;) :D

Michael