First N scale Kitbash (A simple one)

Tad

Apr 8, 2003
Boise, Idaho
Visit site
After seeing what some of you do I hesitate to post this, but I guess you have to start somewhere :cool:

I started with a LifeLike Hopper Kit. Like this one:

LLHopper.jpg

I extended the sides, painted it with my new airbrush, and loaded it with woodchips.

ADNHopper.jpg

Side by side:

2Hoppers.jpg

Homemade Chip Load:

Chipload.jpg

Since I can't print white and no one makes the ones I need, I guess I'm going to have to eventually get some custom decals made.

The AD&N had 75 cars similar to this one, numbers ADN 100 - ADN 174. I'm going to build 12. I have some ideas to improve this car that I think I'll try on the next one.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Nice Job!

Well done, Tad!
:cool: :cool: :cool:
Tyson will like this one, him being from down there in wood chip country!
:D ;) :)

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
Nice job on the kitbash Tad, the car looks great! :cool: One suggestion for the load is to open a tea bag and use some of the contents in the load (represents the bark), coffee grounds will also work. When the wood is run thru the chipper there is always some bark, pieces of leaves etc. mixed in.

Attachments

• dcp_0159abc.jpg
    dcp_0159abc.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 153

Tad

Apr 8, 2003
Boise, Idaho
Visit site
Thank you, gentlemen. I appreciate the kind comments.

It is not that the decals are that complicated, it is that they are all white for this type of car and I can't print them in white.

Only one company makes N scale AD&N decals and they are only for the 50' ribside box.

I'm thinking that I am going to have to have some AD&N decals made for my locomotives and for my different cars.

leghome

Here is the e-mail address of a custom decal maker who is very reasonable and fast.
jwilhite@netdirect.net
His name is Jim Wilhite. He has done decals for me and also Catt and several others that I have sent his way. You can e-mail him and find out what info he needs to give you a quote and he will respond with a reasonable price. Catt can testify to his work. He lives in Anderson Indiana and just recently sold LaBelle Woodworking the makers of fine Craftsman wood kits. He still does most if not all of the decals for the LaBelle models.

C

Catt

I have to agree with Larry. Jim made my new GVR logo decals in short order at a fair price for a quality product.