First layout plan

fecfan

Dec 12, 2002
SE Florida
Visit site
Hi everyone. With all the great feedback and advice that I've been seeing in this forum, I'm posting my layout plan attempt (N scale).

First, here's what I want to model: Modern day (80's to present) Florida East Coast railway in the Fort Lauderdale area. The plan that I have come up I think captures some of the flavor of the FEC's Fort Lauderdale yard and surrounding industries.

Motive Power: GP-40, GP-9, SW-1200
Rolling stock: 50' boxes, 53' piggy back flats, double stack well cars, plastic pellet hoppers, etc.

Operation: I want to do some switching (Fort Lauderdale local train), but still have the ability to run a train continuously (to amuse my 3 year old) Both not necesarily at the same time.

Space: I have a small bedroom that I use as an office, but I don't want to take up a lot of room. I also don't want to bite off more than I can chew with my first real layout. This layout fits in less than 3' x 5' and would go in a corner of the room.

Here's the layout... It is roughly based on Atlas's N-17 layout.

fecftlaud.jpg

The grid lines are 6" apart. Here is a legent:
1 - Warehouse or distributor - use a DPM Trackside Transfer kit
2 - Plastic bag manufacturer - use a Nu-Line concrete warehouse
3 - Lumber distributor - kitbash two Pikestuff distribution centers
5 - Intermodeal yard
6 - Rinker concrete plant - no rail service, just to give some South Florida flavor. Probably move it somewhere else.
7 - LPG distributor - some horizontal LPG plants
8 - Fort Luaderdale yard, plastic pellet hoppers stored here too
9 - Single engine shed - Micro Engineering or Pikestuff kit

The overpass at the top right would be interstate I-595. I would probably use several of Rix's modern concrete overpass kits.
A backdrop would go at the top and right sides, possibly curving around at the top right corner instead of the Rinker plant.

If any one is interested, here is the Atlas RTS file:
http://bellsouthpwp.net/h/e/helbein/fecftlaud.ral

Any criticism, suggestions, etc much appreciated.

-fecfan

rich maiorano

Apr 27, 2002
levittown pa
first welcome did you come to the right place ,your plan looks like a winner to me and you will get alot of good advice from guys and girls around here and am into n-scale too my plan is down in this forum too and still learning too:D :D :D :D rich

babydot94513

Member in training
Sep 1, 2002
Brentwood, Ca
Visit site
Not being familiar with N gauge myself I cannot "see" the dimensions/scale all that clear.

However, that being said, is there any way you can add another industry between #1 and #2 and using the spur off of #2 to make a reverse move?

I always like a double-reverse move as it adds a realistic dimension to what an industrial area may contain.

Just a thought - not that I know what I am talking about.

fecfan

Dec 12, 2002
SE Florida
Visit site
Rich,

Thanks for the kind remarks. I'll check your thread out. I think I still need to refine the turnouts at the bottom. I was originally thinking of doing a small shelf based point to point, but I know having the ability to have a continuous run will entartain the rest of my family.

An Eagles fan huh, I moved from the Philadelphia area about a year and a half ago.

-fecfan

fecfan

Dec 12, 2002
SE Florida
Visit site
Originally posted by babydot94513
Not being familiar with N gauge myself I cannot "see" the dimensions/scale all that clear.

However, that being said, is there any way you can add another industry between #1 and #2 and using the spur off of #2 to make a reverse move?

I always like a double-reverse move as it adds a realistic dimension to what an industrial area may contain.

Jeff,

I was toying with putting another spur right there myself. You talked me into it :) As far as dimesnsions, it will be a little tight, but I'm not planning on running the longest cars or engines. The turnouts are #6. Some of the curves are sharp, but not all of them.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi fecfan and welcome to the gauge, Very nice looking plan, I personally wouldn't add anymore track, it will be too over crowded. Anyway, should you be be in need of help in wiring this little gem, I have already placed the power points(RED) and insulated joiners (BLUE) for you. If you intend to go DCC at a later date, you will still need to place the (BLUE) insulations.

Shamus
wink.gif

Attachments

• gaugeplan.jpg
    gaugeplan.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 576

TR-Flyer

Nov 24, 2001
SC
Visit site
Shamus:
Why wouldn't you place insulators and the end of the turnout at the start of the inner siding up near building #6, so you could isolate the inner yard from a continuously running outer loop?

Oh, and by the way, i don't think i've ever personally thanked you for the great archive article on control panels. I followed it in building my modular control center and have received many complements about it.

Regards,
Ted

fecfan

Dec 12, 2002
SE Florida
Visit site
Version 2

I've been taking everyone's suggestions and fiddling around with this track plan for a while. Yeh, I know its still a spaghetti bowl, but I like pasta. I think the yard is more usable in this version and the switching possibilities are better. The curves have a little better transitions as well.

I have the RTS file if anyone is interested. One of these days, I'll figure out how to use flex track in RTS. Once again, any input or criticism is much appreciated.

fecftlaud2.jpg

-fecfan

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Originally posted by TR-Flyer
Shamus:
Why wouldn't you place insulators and the end of the turnout at the start of the inner siding up near building #6, so you could isolate the inner yard from a continuously running outer loop?

Oh, and by the way, i don't think i've ever personally thanked you for the great archive article on control panels. I followed it in building my modular control center and have received many complements about it.

Regards,
Ted
Hi Ted, No need to insulate that turnout as when it is thrown out, it is not feed anyway.

Glad the control article helped.
Shamus

fecfan

Dec 12, 2002
SE Florida
Visit site
Re: Employment opportunities

Originally posted by jon-monon
I see a lot of employment opportunities for little plastic folks... rock on baby.

Some people like mountains and briges and rivers. I like corrugated industrial buildings. To each his or her own:)
Its a long way off from needing little plastic people, but I'm looking forward to getting started with benchwork.

-fecfan

fecfan

Dec 12, 2002
SE Florida
Visit site
Originally posted by Tyson Rayles
BTW fecfan, I was born and raised in Ft. Liquordale :D . Haven't been there since 1981 so I wouldn't know the place now I'm sure. Thought about doing a layout based on the FEC but these mountains waylaid me! :)

I went the other way. I was born in and lived in the Philadelphia area and jsut moved down Parkland, FL (not too far North of Ft Lauderdale) about a year and a half ago. From what my wife tells me, Ft Lauderdale ain't the same as it used to be - no more SPring Break capital of the world.

-fecfan